Can I get billed in CAD for my basic plan?

shettytarun
Tourist
4 0 2

Hello,

I have shop pebbleripples-980 registered with Shopify. I want to go ahead with basic plan but the billing is in USD. I want to check is there an option to get billed in CAD as I'm based in Canada and will be selling from here.

Thanks,

Tarun.

Reply 1 (1)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 158

Hi, @shettytarun!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks so much for getting in touch about the billing of your Shopify store. At the moment, Shopify only charges in USD. There are a number of reasons for this, but the main reasons are:

• Shopify takes payments similar to how stores take payment. Checkout is in one currency.
  • USD is a widely accepted currency.
  • The number of hosted shops on Shopify makes it the most effective way of accepting payments.

We have merchants in more than 150 countries, of which the United States is our largest market. We charge in USD so that we are in the local currency of most of our merchants. Further, since we service shops worldwide, we need to charge in a currency that makes sense for everyone. USD is one of the most frictionless currencies in the world and lots of international banks don't charge the same exchange rates for it, as they would for other foreign currencies.

Even though we are a Canadian company based out of Ottawa, we do have US investors and our books are reported in USD. As a result, Shopify has always billed in USD, no matter where you are located. At the moment, there is no way to change the currency in which we charge.

I hope this helps to clarify the billing, but if you have any questions, please let me know.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.