Block orders from certain People or Email addresses?

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi all, is there a way to do this?  I'm fed up getting repeated order attempts from the same crooks. I wish there was a way to block their names / email addresses, even phone numbers!  Anything would help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
97 1 19

Hey Seamus, 

I'm Zuzanna, from the team here at Shopify :)

Great question! The best way to do that would be with an app. Apps are like extra features that you can add to your stores. In this case, the app you'd want to try is Fraud Filter, check it out here. It lets you create specific rules in your store that will stop certain people from being able to complete orders. You can see more details about the app and how to set it up on this page of our Shopify Manual. 

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us here :) 

Have a great one,
Zuzanna

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

This app works for physical products but not digital downloads. Is there a way to make the Fraud Filter cancel orders before the moment payment goes through? I want to be able to block certain past customers and I mainly sell digital attachments. I have set up some Fraud Filter rules that work to cancel orders however, the cancellation doesn't happen until AFTER the payment has gone through so the customer is still receiving the digital attachment as they are set up to auto fulfill. The customer is still getting a copy of the digital attachment on the order confirmation screen and also in email and then Fraud Filter is canceling the order but it's too late, the "bad" customer has already received the digital download link/file so it's not really helping my situation. This example happened specifically with a customer that used Paypal Express checkout. It seems to me the app should be able to run its "Fraud rule check" prior to Shopify fulfilling line items since digital attachments can be automatically fulfilled. I would not have the time to manual fill my orders.

I just need a way to block customers from purchasing and I cannot figure out a way to stop that digital attachment from being sent regardless. I do not want to set up manual fulfillment either. Any other app or options would be great.

Another thing I noticed when reading the How To on Fraud Filter is it states when you have selected the option to cancel an order that meets one of the rules you define, Fraud Filter will make the customers receipt state that their card has been declined but this isn't happening either. I have tested it and the order still goes through for payment and then after that payment is processed, the order is flagged and canceled within Shopify. Again, the digital attachment is still being sent to customer.

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
41 0 19
Did you ever figure out a way to do this? I'd like to block people that buy a product because they have a broken one that's out of warranty and return it. Luckily everything is serialized so it's easy to log the serial numbers sent and compare what's returned but once they do it theirs nothing stopping them from ordering again. I'd like to see a black list on shopify, maybe by user and up address
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Does disabling the customer's account prevent anyone with the same email address from ordering again?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
41 0 19
I don't think so, i leave their account open but make a note on it to not sell to. If an order comes in I just cancel it.
0 Likes
6 0 0

@Zuzanna wrote:

It lets you create specific rules in your store that will stop certain people from being able to complete orders. 

@Zuzanna 

Where is this option?

I only see an option to refund or cancel the order AFTER it is placed.

Please advise!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3172 239 527

Hi @2faroffroad,

Just to double-check you have downloaded the free Fraud Filter app from the Shopify App Store here. It's a feature within the app and not native to the Shopify admin. You can create filters within the app which enable you to block certain customers via email address. It will look like the screenshot below:

20-06-9c657-0o1tq

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

@Nick wrote:

Hi @2faroffroad,

Just to double-check you have downloaded the free Fraud Filter app from the Shopify App Store here. It's a feature within the app and not native to the Shopify admin. You can create filters within the app which enable you to block certain customers via email address. It will look like the screenshot below:

20-06-9c657-0o1tq

Yes, 

Even in your screenshot, I see no option to BLOCK a purchase. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3172 239 527

Hi @2faroffroad,

The Action of Cancel Order essentially blocks the order from being made as it automatically cancels it. The language is slightly different and doesn't necessarily say Block for this app. There are lots of different Fraud feature apps that you can look into to see if you prefer them here

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes