Blog posts remove all spacing on being saved

MDD
Excursionist
39 0 30

So when I type up a blog post, naturally I don't want it to be a single wall of text.  I prefer for there to be blank lines between each part of the post I make.

Like this.

So I'll type up my blog post, space the pictures and paragraphs how I want them and as soon as I press "save" everything is reverted to zero spaces between paragraphs.

Like this.

Then I have to MANUALLY go into the HTML code for the blog and insert dozens of line breaks using the good old <br> from basic HTML to force the blog page to format how I originally wanted it to look, and how id DID look before I hit Save.

Any help?  Is there a setting to fix this?  Or do I just have to spend 10 to 15 minutes extra formatting what should be auto-fomatted based on how I typed up the post?

Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
866 57 98

Hi, @MDD!

Sophia here from Shopify.

When you are editing a blog post, are you using the Shift + Enter keys to create a new paragraph, or do you use the Enter key on its own? Holding Shift + Enter on your keyboard in the rich text editor should create a line break, while pressing Enter on its own should create a new paragraph. If you've tried both of these options and they still aren't functioning as expected in your store, please let me know and I can email you to investigate further.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
MDD
Excursionist
39 0 30

Hi Sophia, thanks.  I'm using just regular enter.  Enter once = new paragraph, I enter again to create a space.  I will try the shift+enter to create a line break, thanks.

0 Likes

I do all my blogging on Medium, both personal and business.

It's possible to then imbed those articles into your site, but it's not easy, here's a tutorial:

https://medium.com/@Jason_Matthew/display-medium-articles-on-your-site-d772b3b05779

I like Medium because they have a lot of traffic, they recommend articles and their editor makes everything look nice.

The downside is that if you want to embed it into your site then you have to do some work.

For me, it's worth it because I'm not embedding articles yet, and I enjoy the benefits of their large viewership. Your mileage may vary depending on how comfortable you feel embedding articles manually.

Cofounder, By the numbers
(https://apps.shopify.com/by-the-numbers)
piam@bythenumbersapp.com
0 Likes
GeniusLabGear
2 0 0

I have the same problem occasionally. The Shift+Enter trick seems to work if you do it twice. Not sure why and this was not obvious. 

0 Likes
ajfromgfk
1 0 0

Hi I'm experiencing the same problem. Tried holding shift and "return" (Have a MacBook) but nothing seems to work. Once I save the document all the spaces disappear. Please help! thanks  

0 Likes
Sophia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
866 57 98

@ajfromgfk wrote:

Hi I'm experiencing the same problem. Tried holding shift and "return" (Have a MacBook) but nothing seems to work. Once I save the document all the spaces disappear. Please help! thanks  

Hey, @ajfromgfk!

Both Shift + Return and Return on its own are working for me to create a line break in a blog post. If you had a preview of the post open in another window or tab, please try closing it and opening a new one. I found that refreshing the page didn't reflect the changes, but opening a new preview did. Let me know if that works!

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes