Brand new store abruptify closed by Shopify... question about Risk Assessment, POD & payments, help!

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello!

I started my first Shopify store yesterday morning, and quickly began getting sales; my own personal designs, everything above board. I followed a great tutorial on setting up a Print On Demand shop, and had a blast putting it together.

This morning, I woke up and it was taken down. After hitting up Shopify Support, they told me they were escalating it to Risk Assessment, and a few hours later I got the following email:

Hello there,

Analyst here from the Risk Operations Team at Shopify. We are writing to you in regards to your account [storename.myshopify.com]

This email is to inform you that after reviewing your information and website we believe your business presents a level of risk that we will be unable to support with Shopify. I know this is not ideal, however we won't be able to help with your business.

At this time since Shopify has been deemed not a good fit for your business you will need to research other e-commerce platforms to find one that will be suitable. Regrettably we are not able to make recommendations to merchants.

Additionally, our banking partners determined that there was a high risk of chargebacks for the orders that were placed and have placed a 120 day reserve on the account. If there are no chargebacks in this time the full amount will be released to the bank account on file on 28 November, 2020

Please note that for security and privacy reasons we are unable to divulge the results of our reviews and investigations. Once an account has been declined the decision is final.

Thank you and I wish you all the best with your business going forward!

Kind regards,

Analyst
Risk Analyst | Shopify

I've seen in other posts here that people have gotten similar messages before, and everyone is frustrated by the lack of specificity. I'm frustrated and quite frankly embarrassed, as I had lots of orders already coming through, and people quickly began asking me why my store was down... I've been racking my brain trying to figure it out.

Question about bank accounts

This was a POD store, with orders being fulfilled by Printify. My bank account is through a startup called Azlo, who specializes in small-business accounts. I had next to zero funds in that account—my hope was someone would buy an item in my Shopify store, I'd be able to turn that around to order the item from Printify, and keep the remainder.

However, now that I'm writing that out, it sounds like MLM, and I don't want that—my assumption is Shopify did a soft pull on my bank account, and determined there wasn't enough funds in my account to cover their risk, especially after I received a rather large order overnight.

My question: do you need to have enough money in your bank account to cover orders, or at least have some kind of significant balance to not trigger risk assessment? What happens if you get a $10K order, and you don't have that kind of money? Am I thinking about this all wrong?

Alternatively, it might have been that one of my items was a baby onesie with a picture of a coronavirus molecule with googly-eyes, but I kinda doubt it was that.

Any insight appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
21 1 0

I think I have a solution to your problem.  You can email me at dannycohen81@gmail.com

0 Likes