I started my first Shopify store yesterday morning, and quickly began getting sales; my own personal designs, everything above board. I followed a great tutorial on setting up a Print On Demand shop, and had a blast putting it together.
This morning, I woke up and it was taken down. After hitting up Shopify Support, they told me they were escalating it to Risk Assessment, and a few hours later I got the following email:
Analyst here from the Risk Operations Team at Shopify. We are writing to you in regards to your account [storename.myshopify.com]
This email is to inform you that after reviewing your information and website we believe your business presents a level of risk that we will be unable to support with Shopify. I know this is not ideal, however we won't be able to help with your business.
At this time since Shopify has been deemed not a good fit for your business you will need to research other e-commerce platforms to find one that will be suitable. Regrettably we are not able to make recommendations to merchants.
Additionally, our banking partners determined that there was a high risk of chargebacks for the orders that were placed and have placed a 120 day reserve on the account. If there are no chargebacks in this time the full amount will be released to the bank account on file on 28 November, 2020
Please note that for security and privacy reasons we are unable to divulge the results of our reviews and investigations. Once an account has been declined the decision is final.
Thank you and I wish you all the best with your business going forward!
Risk Analyst | Shopify
I've seen in other posts here that people have gotten similar messages before, and everyone is frustrated by the lack of specificity. I'm frustrated and quite frankly embarrassed, as I had lots of orders already coming through, and people quickly began asking me why my store was down... I've been racking my brain trying to figure it out.
Question about bank accounts
This was a POD store, with orders being fulfilled by Printify. My bank account is through a startup called Azlo, who specializes in small-business accounts. I had next to zero funds in that account—my hope was someone would buy an item in my Shopify store, I'd be able to turn that around to order the item from Printify, and keep the remainder.
However, now that I'm writing that out, it sounds like MLM, and I don't want that—my assumption is Shopify did a soft pull on my bank account, and determined there wasn't enough funds in my account to cover their risk, especially after I received a rather large order overnight.
My question: do you need to have enough money in your bank account to cover orders, or at least have some kind of significant balance to not trigger risk assessment? What happens if you get a $10K order, and you don't have that kind of money? Am I thinking about this all wrong?
Alternatively, it might have been that one of my items was a baby onesie with a picture of a coronavirus molecule with googly-eyes, but I kinda doubt it was that.
Any insight appreciated!
Seen your post, here is the real reason.
If you are not one of their top producing revenue sites then they don't want your small business and will do everything to block and eventually shut down your store. It is all about shareholder value for them.
After a few years being loyal to Shopify the way they show their thanks is to lock me out of my store at the busiest time of year for shopping - Christmas. They ran me through a privacy & security compliance process and 7 days later still no access because at the busiest time of the year they were negligent and didn't plan ahead. Completely disgraceful. No response from the Account Team with orders pending and my customer furious because they can't get their orders fulfilled. But this is just a diversion, the real reason is profit.
I have read many other posts and I see a common trend towards the same action. Essentially to keep their operating costs low and profits high they target the small business owner sites and put you through their 'risk assessment' or 'attestation'. 1 of 2 things happen next: 1) given they never respond you end up deciding to cancel on your own (that is where I am at) or 2) they do respond and tell you that you don't comply with their risk criteria and shut down your store. This allows them keep just their highest revenue producing sites and eliminate the lower producers so they save on hosting, customer service, operations costs, etc. and maximize their profit. Remember they are a publicly traded company and this is what shareholders value the most to boost their stock price SHOP.TO which is currently trading at $1,500 dollars.
At any rate I will be cancelling my service if I can ever get access to move my inventory.
Please feel free to copy and paste my post to warn others so they can avoid this experience with them.