Breakdown of how to build a profitable Shopify store

Highlighted
Tourist
20 0 2

Hi everyone! 

I thought it would be amazing if we could have some successful Shopify store owners shed some light on key questions we all have!

It'd be much appreciated!

The questions are along these lines:

- could you break down the process of starting, and growing your store into a successful one? What did you do during your first month, second, third? Sixth? Where were you focusing your time and efforts?

- what kind of performance did you see in terms of traffic growth, conversion growth, profit? There's a lot of numbers here but just a guideline of approximate numbers would be amazing.

- how would you summarize what it takes to be successful/ how you made it? I'm trying to gather that information with my questions, but I might be asking the wrong Qs, as I haven't been successful myself yet!

- lastly, if it's not too personal, what is your store ? What kind of product do you sell? What's your business model

Really appreciate the time you've spent reading this. I know there's so much good content all over the forums about these topics, but sometimes when you're growing your business you can really feel disheartened/lost, and the words of people who have already accomplished what you have are really game-changing.

Many thanks,

Sunil

0 Likes
Excursionist
38 0 6

Dear Sunil,

I understand your request, but my experience is that you figure everything out yourself or you get help from a third party. General rules and "to do lists" would have to be very generic and it wouldn't apply to everybody. Most problems you run into you can simply "google". Use the words "how to ..." and you can get a lot from just doing that. I recommend that you also start reading some of the successful SEO websites, i.e. search engine watch, marketing land, Sean from SEO Hacker - just to name some of my featured sites. Trust me, I know what I am recommending, doing it for 17 years, started my first website on January 1, 2000. I always joke, I am longer in this business than Google, just not as successful. LOL. 

1 Like
Excursionist
94 0 9

Have you already read some of Shopify's own case studies? They're amazing and very detailed like what you talk about

Need personal 1-on-1 Shopify coaching with an expert? 21Brands.com. Also lots of useful free stuff. Email me for personal advice at info@21brands.com
1 Like
Tourist
8 0 5

I agree with Peter SEO is still really important. I had to think like a buyer would and ask what they would search for. Then I tweaked and tweaked titles and descriptions and my products until they finally showed up on search engines. I paint portraits of people and pets Portraits-by-NC . I never paid for Google ads, but I signed up with Orange Twig  This allows me to bring my products infront of people 24/7 and has driven traffic to my shop. Social engagement and showing products has helped to develop a web presence and has increased my sales. This does not happen overnight, but as more and more people become aware of your products and your customer service, sales will increase over time. 

Portraits By NC - Custom Painted Pet and People Portraits www.portraits-by-nc.com
2 Likes
Excursionist
38 0 6

Dear Suni,

I have a great expression that I am using for many, many years that subscribes your problem outlined: 

"I am much more confused than before ... but on a much higher standard ...". I believe at many places in life that statement is sooo true.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1056 0 109

Hi Sunil! Maggie, a Shopify Partner here.

The best way to make your store successful and drive traffic to your website is to work regularly on your SEO [on-site and off-site search engine optimization]. This is done by adding more written content to your website: blog posts, longer product descriptions, additional pages, each 500+ words long; internal links; H tags, meta values, and keyword density. Additionally, make sure to promote your website and work on your backlink strategy [off-site SEO]. 

Read more here: Skyrocket your traffic with a Complete SEO Package

Learn How to Set up a Shopify Store. Join our Shopify Training Course today: http://bit.ly/ShopifytrainingSEO
1 Like
1 0 1

thank you for the fast response!!

@Rock Paper Copy

1 Like
Excursionist
38 0 6

Dear Suni,

I just will say it again. Start reading about SEO... and in 4-8 weeks you are half of an expert and know more than 80 % of people... Rock Paper Company is talking about keyword density, H tags, Meta values, etc. these subjects are all correct, but do you know what they mean. In 4 weeks of intensive reading and you know. I gave you some of the best SEO writers I know. My advice is much more worth than you might think. If you can afford it, get a mentor for a while, that gives you a lot of shortcuts, but otherwise, just start reading. You will also learn about the different tools available... and there are many out there. Good luck, become your own WebMaster !!! Kind regards, Peter. 

PS: I am still reading daily about SEO, SEM, etc. ... after 17 years... and things are constantly changing.

2 Likes
Tourist
20 0 2

Thank you very much for your response Peter, I will definitely look into those SEO writers! Do you believe PPC advertising can help boost the growth of an e-commerce site by the way?

0 Likes
Tourist
20 0 2

I believe I have, they were great, I'll give them another look over! :)

0 Likes