Brooklyn Theme Product Page - Social Share buttons

Highlighted
Excursionist
15 0 2

Hello,socialmediaicons.jpg

I am referring to these buttons. Do most people leave them in, or are there better (preferably free apps) to share products on social media

When I briefly tried to click the facebook share icon on my product page, it seemed as though I would be sharing the homepage of my store and not the actual product..

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
436 14 41

Hey @DerekShop!

Katy here from Shopify. I hope all is well with you!

Great question. Each of these icons on the product page, allow you to share a direct link to your products. It is a great way for linking traffic back to your site.

Although sometimes it may seem like it is linking to your home page, this is likely due to the image you are using. I would like to check on this with you. 

We have info on how to set up your social sharing image within your theme here.  If you have not yet specified this, it may, in cases use your logo by default.  Could you check on this?

Another great way to test if this is correctly linking to your product page, is be by sharing to your social media - Facebook for example, with the visibility settings set to 'you only', so that you can check and confirm this. There is also a debug tool for Facebook which can help too. 

While there are apps which can help with this too I recommend checking the above steps first.

Do let me know how this goes for you, or if you have any questions at all. 

Cheers,
Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Excursionist
15 0 2

Thanks for your reply,

So i gave this a go, what happens is when you Share a product on facebook using the default Share button, only the logo thats set within the Social Media settings of the Theme is shown on facebook. So in my case, in my Social Media settings within the Theme settings, I have a logo of my business. 

Once I shared a product of mine to Facebook, my post on FB was of my business logo with a hyperlink to the product I shared. I'm not sure if the products own picture can be shared, rather than a hardcoded picture within the Theme settings.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
436 14 41

Hi, @DerekShop!

Apologies for the delay in my reply to you.

I have checked on this with our Theme support to confirm. The image which is added to your theme customizer works as a default image which will be shared if your product image is not available, or if is not a suitable size.

If you are certain the image is the correct size (for example 1:1 ratio on Facebook) there may be something else blocking this. Having your password page activated on your store can cause this to happen too. This will redirect all URLs to your password page once clicked, instead of the URL you are attempting to share.

31-22-fch3l-9r4h5

Would you be able to ensure that this has been switched off, and to also clear your cache after doing so?

Using the debug tool can help in determining a more specific cause.  Feel free to add a sample URL from your store in here to check on the information that it can provide. 

If you do not notice a change, do let me know and we can have a closer look.

Thanks so much!

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 2

Thanks, I did have a password protect which I have just taken off, so I will be sure to try again and let you know if it still doesnt work.

1 Like