Bug: Inventory changes not sticking

Tom42
Tourist
8 0 6

We have a shop with 5000 items. We are encountering random bugs where even though we've zero'ed out inventory, customer is still able to purchase it. It is random but occurs once a week. We've even made sure after we saved the new inventory to zero to go in and load the product page to make sure the change was saved.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue? Is it some weird shopify sync'ing issue? I can't reproduce it in a single use case but it's happened once a week consistently for past few months where a customer purchases a product where we set the inventory to zero.

Jason
Shopify Expert
10360 158 2011

A couple of questions to start with:

1. Are you sure that you have not check the box to enable the product to be oversold? (aka, keep selling even if sold out)
  2. Have you checked the inventory history to make sure that an app (for example) isn't changing the values?

More info on inventory here:
https://help.shopify.com/manual/products/inventory

I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.

Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.

★ http://freakdesign.com.au ★
0 Likes
Tom42
Tourist
8 0 6

1. None of our 5k products have "allow customers to purchase this product when it's out of stock" selected and we always use shopify tracking for inventory policy. Have been the same for 2 years and sell over a few thousand products per month.

2. When checking inventory history on the items where this has occurred, none of the manual adjustments to zero are saved. But when we adjust the inventory manually, click the purple "save" button bottom right, get the pop-up confirmation, then and reload the product page, the inventory correctly shows zero. Then sometime a few days later, customer order comes in and the inventory history shows no manual adjustment.

Bottom line here is *something* within Shopify is not retaining the manual inventory adjustments even after we confirm the adjustment was saved by reloading the page a few seconds after clicking "save." This happens only occasionally - a few thousand orders a month and we encounter the problem once a week. I can't reproduce it because it is intermittent. The only thing I can think if something on the backend is not saving correctly, and surely we can't be the only store with this problem?

We are at our wits end. The only other thing I can do is record my screen for days at a time until I encounter a problem and do a video edit to show support.

Greg28
1 0 0

I have the same issue, did you guys find a solution?

0 Likes
Hannah_M
Tourist
9 0 2

We are having the same issue in 2021. I approached Shopify last year, but they didn't seem to understand what I was trying to explain - I even sent a link to a form chat to show I was not the only one having the problem, but was then asked for screenshots and that's when I gave up. I can't take screenshots of every 'sold out' products inventory history, in case the issue happens to one of them. But over the weekend it has happened again on a product, that was manually adjusted to zero, and a customer has now purchased the item, which is when we have become aware of the issue.

The product had 'continue selling' unticked, and would have been 'sold out' on the front end, but the stock has adjusted to the originally stock level, so therefore came back into stock. When you go to the inventory history, there is no record of any manual adjustment. 

This is really frustrating as now I have to let down the customer. We're a relatively small shop but nevertheless, this sort of inventory issue should not be occurring.

Does anyone know if this issue has ever been resolved and is anyone else still having this issue?

Hannah

0 Likes