Building Shopify Store from UAE - how to get paid

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

I live in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and am trying to build a Shopify store catering mainly to the North American market. However I have seem to run into a bit of a roadblock - how do i get paid? Apparently I cant withdraw from my PayPal personal account in the UAE - to do this i would have to change to a business account and link to a local bank account. However changing to a business account would require registering a trade license locally and the cost for this is upwards of USD15,000. This is prohibitive for me.

So in short, the questions is, how do i get paid sitting in the UAE when setting up a Shopify store for customers in the US/Canada?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3053 228 499

Hi there, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Great question. To set up a Shopify store and get paid while living in the UAE without using Paypal is completely possible. Shopify is partnered up with many payment gateways in the UAE that you can set up with your store to enable yourself to get paid. You can see the list of gateways Shopify is partnered within the UAE here

Once you have your gateway set up, you can then target your marketing efforts towards the USA and Canada to reach the market you want. 

Don't hesitate to reach out should you have any other questions about anything. ?

Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the response.

I will check this out. Separately, I have heard that conversions at checkout stage in absence of Paypal/Stripe/Shopify payments are significantly lower. Does shopify have data supporting or refuting this? For example, if i use Checkout.com or 2Checkout instead of PayPal, are customer less likely to convert given that these will take them to a separate page as opposed to the seamless experiece with STRIPE or Paypal? If it means lower conversions, then the expensive payment gateways like 2checkout become even less appealing!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3053 228 499

Hi there, 

In this instance, if you use 2Checkout for example, the customer will not know the difference if you are using 2Checkout or Shopify Payments. They will be taken through the exact same process on your store's checkout. There would be a difference if you used Paypal for example as it would take the customer to Paypal directly. But regarding the other gateways, it would look the exact same. 

Hope this helps make it more clear for you. ?

All the best, Nick

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 3

Hi, i live in the UAE too. I want to start  DROPSHIPPING Soon, but there's this License thing i am confused about. So if i were to sell anywhere outside UAE while i reside in the UAE, will i still need to apply for a Trade License or not ?

Please Help

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3053 228 499

Hi Arshad, 

I would say you would definitely need to register your company within the UAE whether you are selling in or out of the UAE for legal reasons. I did some digging and found this page from the government of UAE regarding company registration which might be worth looking into. You can see it here. I'm not overly familiar with the company register laws of the UAE and can only recommend talking to a local tax expert or professional accountant to find out more information to make sure you are doing everything by law for where your online store is based from. 

Hope that helps and don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions about anything. 

All the best, Nick

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 3

Hi Nick,

Thanks a lot for the info and The government link, it is really helpful.

I just have one more question, To open up a physical store, it is necessary to have a License first. But for a DropShipping store, is it necessary to have a License first or after Making  certain amount of money i can apply for one ?
 Because getting a Trade License is not Cheap by any means, and after getting one, God forbid, but if my store doesn't workout, i am not making any money, Paying Upfront for the License seems a huge Cost before even starting out your store, not knowing if you would make money or not.

So is it Necessary to get a License first or after i start to make some money ?

Thanks in Advance

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3053 228 499

Hi Arshad, 

Good question. Whether you need a license or not before you start to make money is really something you would need to find out locally. I completely understand what you mean about the cost of getting a license first, but this is something I would definitely recommend you find out from a local accountant or local government laws. You can make money via Shopify, as it does not require you to have a license but I would highly advise you to find out if you do in fact need one and the consequences of not having one for legal reasons from your local government before you begin making sales of any kind. 

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions should you have any. 

All the best, Nick

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

I have been searching for a way to get paid in the UAE with a Drop-Shipping / Print-On-Demand start-up store on Shopify. Can anyone advice how to get paid to my own personal account in UAE - before taking up a costly commercial e-commerce license and opening the related business bank account. Which reasonable / minimum charging Payment Gateway to select? And steps for that?

Thanks
Rupak

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Rupak,

Did you manage to figure this out?

0 Likes