Building a cohesive brand

Highlighted
1 0 0
I am setting up a shop to sell 1 book I have published. When selecting photos for my website do they have to have the same colors and feel as my book cover? Or can I choose photos based on the emotions they will evoke in the viewer? I feel like I will be pretty limited in my photo options if I have to match my cover.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
479 41 105

Hi, @mv2!

Julie here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out. 

It's great to hear that you're focusing on building a cohesive brand for your book. This is definitely an important part to running a successful ecommerce business. 

To help guide you along, I suggest checking out our guide, "How to Start Your Own Brand From Scratch in 7 Steps". Here, you'll learn all about how to build a cohesive brand by picking a focus and personality, choosing the right fonts and colours, and even designing a logo. It also includes some tips on how you can apply this branding throughout the rest of your site. 

In choosing photos for your website, I recommend finding photos that complement your colour scheme; while evoking emotion is a great way to appeal to your customers, it's also important to make sure that the images you use match your website's overall look and feel. Closely matching your book cover shouldn't be necessary, as long as your website has a nice aesthetic flow. 

We also have another great guide called, "Customizing Your Shopify Theme: How to Use Images, Colors, and Fonts". This guide offers a ton of design advice to help you showcase your brand on your website. I think you'll find the tips in here quite useful as you work on customizing your theme. 

Where are you currently sourcing your images? If you're looking for some more high-quality photos for your website, Shopify actually has a free stock photography library called Burst. There, you'll find a collection of high-quality stock photos you can download and use. 

Lastly, are you also planning on offering a digital copy of your book? If so, you could use an app like Digital Downloads or SendOwl to sell digital products like ebooks. These apps give you the ability to attach files to your products. Once a customer purchases one, they'll automatically receive an email with a link to download the ebook file. If you're looking into expanding your book business, selling ebooks might be something worth looking into. 

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction and I'd love to learn more about your book. Feel free to share your store link here and I'd also be happy to take a look and offer some feedback! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes