Bulk edit variant weight and HS code

Tyler_Newton
Tourist
7 0 25

Is it possible to bulk edit product variants with their weight and HS code? For example, I have many shirts and each shirt has many sizes and different colors. I need to update the product weight and HS code to be the same for all of the variants.

Philip_K
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
119 0 22

Hi there Tyler,

Phil from the Shopify Support team here. This is absolutely possible using the bulk editor or with a product CSV. 

1) In your admin just go to Products and click on the select all products checkbox.

2) Once you click on that, to the right select the 'Select all 50+ products' button that appears in blue to select the remaining products. 

3) Click on 'Edit Products' next to the select all products checkbox

4) This takes you to the bulk editor. Click 'Add more fields' and select weight and HS tarrif code

5) You will see a weight and HS column where you can edit. Copy and paste works here also to speed up the updating process. 

Or your can export your products into a CSV, update that information in the CSV, then re-import the product and all products will have the required updated information. If you do the CSV method, make sure that you click overwrite when importing your products. We've got documentation below on how to use the bulk editor:

https://help.shopify.com/manual/intro-to-shopify/daily-workflows/bulk-editing-products#select-produc...

Hope that helps!

Phil

Tyler_Newton
Tourist
7 0 25

Thanks Phil. Is it possible to update the country of origin for each product so it doesn't need to be filled out every time when shipping products out of country?

0 Likes
Tom_Brown3
Excursionist
18 0 6

Erm, guys... Am I missing something? Where can we enter/edit HS codes for products? 

0 Likes
Philip_K
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
119 0 22

@Tyler, currently the country of origin is not something that can be edited from within Shopify's admin. 

@Tom, looks like you have a store based in the United Kingdom. HS Tariff codes are only editable with stores located in the United States. The reason is because Shopify offers something called Shopify Shipping, which is a tool built into the admin to purchase labels from United States Postal Service. This HS Tariff Code field is used for this service. This is a US postal courier, not something that operates in the UK, meaning that HS Tariff codes wont show up on your end. 

Hope that clarifies your question :)

Tunyaluck_Phutt
1 0 1

Hi Philip, my store is in the US, but I can't add HS Tariff field if I upload from CSV. When I am at "Choose column headings", it ignores my HS Tariff field, and there is no HS Tariff item to choose from the drop down menu.

Philip_K
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
119 0 22

@Tunyaluck, HS Tariff codes are only editable on US stores. A Shopify product CSV is universal for all stores no matter the country. A tariff column in the CSV wouldn't work for stores located outside of the US so it's excluded. You can still edit your HS Tariff codes with the 'Edit Products' method I mentioned in my first post above. Still the same thing, you just have to edit them after an upload. Adding a column called HS Tariff to your CSV for example will not work. Your best bet is to go with the Bulk Edit tool currently. 

0 Likes
Kal_Wallner
1 0 0

@Philip K To follow up on Tyler's question, is there a reason why "Country of Origin" cannot be included as a per-product value that can be set once the same way as "HS Tarriff Codes"? That would make our shop a lot easier to manage as we would not have to manually enter the "Country of Origin" on every item, on every order that leaves the US.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Nava_Gowda
1 0 0

Our store is in the US, but there is no HS column on the CSV formats to bulk upload like you say. I have been searching for it, and even tried to upload via csv by adding the field name. It does not work. I guess only API access is given.

0 Likes
Dean_Irwin
1 0 1

Our store is also a US store and can't find, which is a major pain.  Same with country of origin.  Country has to be manually entered on every international shipment, and it is not obvious, so we have to remake labels often, so that the Commercial Invoices are accurate.  And that is not a separate step, it is just way down on the bottom of the page, if you scrolldown.  Ugh!

Plus, if you bulk import products from csv, you lose all of your previously stored hs codes.