Buy Online. Pickup in Store.

Highlighted
Explorer
128 0 27

I would like a dedicated method at check out to allow customers to place an order on the website that would be picked up at our local store. 

Currently I have created a "FREE IN-STORE PICK-UP" option as a custom payment method. I also tried adding a "FREE LOCAL PICK-UP" option in shipping, but this creates problems as it becomes the default shipping method at checkout for regular web orders due to the price being $0.00. And when I added this, I began receiving web orders with this option selected even though it was clearly not applicable. Furthermore this process is too complicated for the shopper that wants to pick up their orders in the store and the customers can't figure out how to use it.

The problem with either of these methods is that its not clear and the options are selected at the end of the order process

Ideally we should have a single option that automatically eliminates shipping ONLY when "IN STORE PICK-UP is selected. Also this option should be in the beginning of the shopping experience rather than late in the check-out.

Any better suggestions on how to implement this in Shopify?

Spice. Sweet. Savory. Hot.
4 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

i know this isnt ideal, but you can add a coupon code like PICKUP. assign that coupon code = free shipping. 

1 Like
2 0 1

I agree, this should absolutely be an option, we have to go through this all the time with shoppers selecting "in-store" pickup when they are clearly on the other side of the country. 

0 Likes
Trailblazer
650 0 69

This has been batted about for years to no avail.

Anne - I tried that code bit and people still use it when they should not.

Elizabeth.  What I have in place is that "Hold for Pick up" is only on option for my state and the one above (Oregon and Washington).  You don't have to have it valid for all 50 states.  That helped A LOT.  But of course, I still get 10-20% of the locals not reading and picking the 'free shipping' option they think they see.

John Nanci www.ChocolateAlchemy.com The Art and Science of Homemade Chocolate
0 Likes
2 0 1

Thank you!! That is going to help a lot! 

1 Like
2 0 2

I have had 4 orders in a row select "pick-up-at-store" for $0.00 as the default shipping rate and none of them are pickin up at store.  This has quickly become my biggest complaint about Shopify.  Please at least make the option to custom sort shipping rates by a means other than price so I can default a flat rate shipping option and customers would have to scroll down to select pick-up-at-store.  This is making customer service for my customers much more time consuming and reflects poorly on my business.  

2 Likes
Tourist
14 0 2

I don't understand why this is so difficult to reply to. In the UK there is a huge demand for 'Click and Collect' and at least one major national retailer claims that C&C accounts for 89% of their online business. I understand that by choosing this option Shopify would then lose out on some transaction fees but surely they can at least acknowledge that this is an issue that is being looked into. As a retailer offering a local service I consider this service to be invaluable (and forms part of our USP) but cannot find anyone offering this solution 'out of the box'. Maybe I should branch out into ecommerce as there is an obvious gap in the market here to be exploited.

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 3

This is a feature that I would like to add to my shop as well.  I look forward to news of it being available ;-)

0 Likes
Excursionist
41 0 11

Here's how I added the functionality:

1) I have custom shipping rates that are only available in my state;  Two of them are "Free Local Pickup" and "Delivery"

2) When I did this, I would get all sorts of orders trying to take the "free local pickup" - so I changed this to "Local Pickup" and made a shipping rule.  Basically $5 for orders at $0-200 ($200 is where I ship for free to anyone).  

3) This did two things:  1) it started reducing the orders I was getting for tiny amounts - I had been receiving orders for $0.49 and things like that from people that lived the closest to me.  It was annoying (and I realize, not the problem you are asking about), but it gave a threshold.  2) The $200 may seem like a lot, but its my average order size, so, those folks that are my bread and butter would get this option as standard practice.  Those that did not, would usually call in at this point to see if an exception could be made (the answer, of course, is YES).  

This cut down dramatically on the amounts of people selecting the wrong shipping option - it almost doesn't happen at all for us anymore, and there is no evidence by looking at lost shopping carts that it did anything to sales.  Usually, we will see the same person doing variations of the same order, probably price checking or playing with shipping options, and eventually, in a day or so, submitting an order and calling to ask if we can remove shipping charges.  Once they know we will do this, we get repeat business, and its not too hard to remove this when we capture payments.

Not a perfect solution, but, we have more local customers now than when we started, and they repeat business so it feels like its acceptable from their viewpoint.  

0 Likes
Excursionist
20 0 40

I read elsewhere somewhere about having radio buttons on checkout page that place invisible products into cart. The products have ridiculous weights that trigger certain delivery options being shown. So if someone selects the In-Store Pickup radio button, a 1000kg items gets added to cart which then only shows the 'In-store' deleivery optin on the checkout page. 

I can't find the post though, and doesn't resolve the fact that a shipping address will still be required on the checkout page but the text can be re-worded using translations feature in shopify to say somehting like: 'Shipping Address (Or Personal Details if opting for In-Store Pickup)'

This has been ongoing for years, Shopify obviously don't care about this so we're haveing to find convoluted hacks to make something as simple as in-store pickup to work.

This may not been an issue for most shops a few years ago when I posted my original concern but we live in a multi-channel world now and Click & Collect is big, especially in th UK. Argos, John Lewis, Waitrose all have elegant solutions, come on Shopify, get with the times dammit!! Causing us grief for years :((

0 Likes