Buy X Get Y Discounts ?

Highlighted
4 0 0

Buy X and Get Y Discounts.

Is it possible to offer a discount on the "Y" product instead of just offering it for free? Didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the learn about section for the "Buy X get Y" discounts. I want to offer a steep discount on a slow moving product when customers buy something else, but I don't want to give it away.   

Thanks for your time!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
269 23 39

Hey, @Typecast!

Ash here from the Shopify team. 

It's absolutely possible to offer a discount on the "Y" product, rather than just offering it for free. When creating a "Buy X Get Y" discount, you're able to choose between a percentage discount or free for "Y". Check out this screenshot I took during the "Buy X Get Y" discount creation process:

20-06-v0x6g-0983s.png

As you can see from the screenshot, under the "Customer Gets" section, you're given the choice to specify the discounted value. I hope this helps, and please feel free to reply back here if you run into any issues creating your discounts, or if you have any further questions regarding Buy X Get Y discounts. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thanks Ash! That's good news. I'll have to take another look.  

I have another question concerning the new email marketing campaigns you guys rolled out recently. I'm liking the templates and I started creating a campaign twice now but had to stop as I can't figure out a way to create a customer group  based on what people have already purchased. 

It seems like it's really only meant for stores that have thousands upon thousands of customers.  I have slightly less than a thousand customers at this point. (People who have actually purchased) I would like to be able to pick and choose who gets the emails or at least have more flexibility when creating customer groups who will receive the email. I can search my "orders" pages for key words like product names but not the "customers" pages.  And finally my question: Is there a way to create a customer group based on what the customer ordered previously? I don't want to promote a product to customers who already own the product. It would seem out of touch or lazy and may insult customers who paid full price for the product.

I understand it's still new but being able to create a "custom" customer group seems like pretty basic stuff so I wanted to ask in case I'm missing something here. 

Thanks again Ash!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
269 23 39

Hey, @Typecast!

Thank you for the reply! I look forward to hearing how making the Buy X Get Y discount goes for you! 

As for your questions regarding email marketing campaigns and customer groups, I agree there is definitely still room for growth with these features. I also fully appreciate you not wanting to market products to customers who may have already ordered them. At this time, in order to remove customers who have ordered a specific product from your mailing list, some manual work will be required. The first step is to identify those customers who have purchased the product in question. You can do this by filtering your orders list with the product name. In the Orders section of the admin, you can search a product name to see each customer who has ordered that product. You can also export that filtered list to easily grab their names and email addresses. That will tell you the customers you need to remove from your mailing list when creating your email campaign. 

I realize that this work around may not be ideal and does require some manual work, and you bring up a great point regarding creating customer groups based on products ordered. I'm happy to submit a feature request on your behalf to our developers, and get some discussion started around adding some new filters. Some useful filters I have in mind would be something like "orders that do/don't contain product X", or "customers who have/haven't ordered product X". I'd love to hear of any other useful filters that don't yet exist, but you may have in mind. Feel free to reply here and let me know! 

In the mean time, here's some information on managing customers for you to check out in our Help Center. In that document, there's information on the current capabilities of filtering the customer list and creating customer groups. We also have some information here on order filtering. 

Looking forward to hearing back and continuing our conversation! 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hello again Ash!

I got the "x get y" discount up and running thanks to your help. Reading the help page on these discounts really makes it seem like the "y" product has to be free. The text could use an edit or two. Anyway, problem solved.

Now, about the email customer groups...

At this time, in order to remove customers who have ordered a specific product from your mailing list, some manual work will be required. The first step is to identify those customers who have purchased the product in question. You can do this by filtering your orders list with the product name. In the Orders section of the admin, you can search a product name to see each customer who has ordered that product. You can also export that filtered list to easily grab their names and email addresses. That will tell you the customers you need to remove from your mailing list when creating your email campaign.

I already figured this out and have my list of customers who have already purchased the product in question. Actually removing those customers from a C.G. has proven more problematic for me. Right now I have a C.G. filtered by amount spent. (Amount spent is > than $1.00) So it contains everyone who has made a purchase including the product in question. How do I go about removing those customers from the (Amount spent is > than $0.00) C.G.? 

And...

In the "To:" pull down menu (Pic 1) where you select a C.G. to send to. It only shows the number of subscribers. Not the actual number of customers in the group (Pic 2). Is the email gong to be sent to the subscribers only, or the actual number of customers in the group, which is 343.

Pic 1Pic 1

Pic 2Pic 2

I've spent too much time on this "email campaign" already. Maybe I should just try it again in a few months. Thanks for all your help Ash!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I have a Buy 2 Get 1 Free offer set up as an automatic discount. It works correctly on the cart and shows the free item. However, when the customer (or I) proceeds to the checkout page, the item is no longer free and is being charged at regular price. The discount code is also not showing up. What could be the issue?

Thanks,

0 Likes