CBD / Authorize.net

mokahemp
1 0 0

I know Shopify Payment doesn't support CBD transactions and requires another gateway provider. If my gateway provider is Authorize.net , can my merchant be Shopify? 

I've head of other people doing this but want to confirm before I move forward. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
860 71 209

Hi @mokahemp!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

I'm glad to see that you've been doing your due diligence into which products you can and cannot sell using Shopify Payments. You are correct — Shopify Payments is not available for hemp or CBD products at this time. In this case, you'll need to select a third-party payment gateway. You'll also need to ensure that you are abiding by local rules and regulations before you start selling these types of products.

I also want to clarify that Shopify is simply the platform you are using and you, as the business owner, are the merchant. Authorize.net is indeed a payment gateway that we support, so you can most definitely use it with Shopify. In fact, many merchants use Authorize.net and we have instructions on how to connect this particular gateway here. Before you do so, I suggest checking with them directly to see if they are able to support your business.

We also have a help doc on selling CBD that offers further information on setting up your store to sell these types of products. There, you'll find Shopify-specific signup links to other third-party payment gateways that support CBD. You'll also notice an FAQ that should help answer any further questions you may have.

I strongly suggest taking some time to carefully read through this help doc if you haven't already; it's very important that you ensure you're abiding by your local laws if you plan on selling CBD products. If you have further questions or concerns about selling CBD, then it might be worth seeking independent legal advice before you start selling. 

I hope this clears things up and guides you in the right direction! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Sasha73
2 0 0

Hi Julie, can you clarify whether it is actually possible to sell CBD products on a Shopify website? and if so, how? 

Thank you

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
860 71 209

Hi, @Sasha73.

Thanks for hopping into the conversation.

I encourage you to check out some of the resources I shared above, as they offer information about selling CBD products with Shopify. There, you'll also notice an FAQ. This should help answer any questions you may have about selling CBD products using Shopify.

If you require any clarity on how our help doc on selling CBD applies to you, I encourage you to seek independent legal advice. As mentioned above, a local legal expert will be the best to assist if you have any questions surrounding the legalities of selling CBD products using Shopify. 

I hope this helps! 

0 Likes
Sasha73
2 0 0

Julie, the links you have dropped are about selling CBD in the US on Shopify. I am in the UK. 

I do not need legal advice because I know it is legal to sell here.

I need advice on how to do it on Shopify.

Thank you

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
860 71 209

Thanks for following up.

While Shopify can't provide advice on what and where merchants can sell using our platform, we recommend that you review your local laws (which it sounds like you've already done), as well as ensure that you are abiding by our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) and Terms of Service (ToS). For this reason, it's a good idea to review our AUP and ToS with a legal expert should you need help determining whether you are eligible to sell CBD products using our platform.

What I can definitively tell you, however, is that Shopify Payments prohibits the sale of CBD products altogether. If you decide to sell CBD using Shopify, then you will need to make sure that you're using a third-party gateway. The Payment section in the FAQ shared above includes links to a few payment gateways you can consider.

I understand that this may not be the concrete answer that you're looking for, but I hope that it leads you in the right direction!

0 Likes