CSV errors found Line 2-4: Src cannot be blank

Highlighted
2 0 2

I created a CSV file to upload 53 products with 216 SKUs.  However, I received the following "CSV errors found" message.  I checked the Shopify sample CSV file and also exported a CSV from my current products as a template, so I'm sure that my headings and data are correct (I also checked headings are correct in "change the order of your column headings" link).

Please note that I did not include image source links in the CSV and left that field blank (plan to manually add images later), but it stated it also "found" 216 images.  Does this "Src" error refer to each SKU image source being blank?  Are image source links required to upload a CSV?  Couldn't find reference to this requirement in Shopify documentation.

CSV errors found

53 products with 216 SKUs and 216 images were found. You can change the order of your column headings, or edit your CSV file.

Please fix the following errors:

• Line 2-4: Src cannot be blank

UPDATE1:  I exported an existing product CSV, renamed the handle and title, deleted the image URL, and uploaded for test and it succeeded.  Therefore, the image source link is not required.  I then tried to paste my data as text in the successful file, but still received the same error.  There must be a special character in my data that causes the Shopify upload tool to throw an error.  I'll keep testing.

UPDATE2:  Issue resolved.  I did not have any values in the Image Src column, but I did have values in the Image Alt Text column, therefore it "found" images. I deleted the values in the Image Alt Text column and it uploaded successfully.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
100 0 7

Hello there Irma!

Justin here from the Shopify Support Team :)

CSV's can be quite finicky - so thanks for reaching out!

The 'Image SRC' can be left blank when uploading, however as our CSV Doc (https://docs.shopify.com/manual/products/import-export) states you won't be able to change the Image Source or Filename once it is uploaded to your store.

I am wondering if these are current products in your shop that you are trying to create a duplicte product? I can't diagnose much further without taking a look at your CSV. If none of this info helps I would reccomend opening a support ticket so one of our friendly Guru's can take a look at it ;)

Here's our link on how to give us a shout :) https://docs.shopify.com/support

Talk soon!

Regards,

Justin | Shopify Support Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Justin, thanks for the follow up and suggestions.  Per update above, I resolved the issue, which was due to conflicting Image Src (no values) and Image Alt Text (values) columns.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
100 0 7

Awesome Irma!

So glad you were able to figure it out :)

Have a great weekend !

Regards,

Justin | Shopify Support Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Well, despite the 'outdated' flag this reply did the job. Importing our records from an third party i managed fine to change the URL source for all the parts and the import is now running. Thanks a lot you!!

I had the same error: SRC cannot be blank.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 4

Thank you

This is how to solve the problem:

Whenever you input the 'Image Alt Text' , the column 'Image Src' Could not be blank, This is important

This happens when you try to import variations of same product

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

There was an error importing your CSV file. After you fix the error, try importing the CSV file again. Src cannot be blank

I am a bit confused.  I get the above error when I  upload my CSV file.  However, the instructions say the following...

Image Src (can be left blank)

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
54 0 10

I've had the same issue.

I thought I would be clever and add the imaqe alt text for all images.

If you enter a value for "Image Alt" the system looks for an image, if there isn't one then the error is returned.

0 Likes