Why are orders processing without CVV verification on Shopify?

AlbertOradina
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello

I set my Shopify payment settings to 'Decline charges that fail CVV verification' under Fraud Prevention. However, I am receiving orders that are being processed and Fraud Analysis is showing 'Card Verification Value (CVV isn't available). How do I require my customers to enter CVV at checkout? Thanks.

Replies 7 (7)

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @AlbertOradina,

Hyde here from Shopify.

If you have set Shopify payments to decline charges that fail CVV verification, then the order should not be processed. Are you sure you've selected that option by going to Settings > Payments > Shopify Payments > Manage > Ticking the box and clicking save?

Not all banks support CVV security checks. When it's enabled, CVV fraud filters apply only to orders where the customer's card-issuing bank supports these checks. If a bank does not support CVV security checks, then the check will probably fail, preventing the payment from completing.

If you could provide a screenshot of this setting in your Shopify Payments and an example of an order that was processed within the past 24 hours despite not having any CVV information, I may get a better understanding of what's going.

Look forward to hearing from you!

All the best, Hyde.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

AlbertOradina
Visitor
2 0 0
Hi Hyde

Thanks for getting back to us.

Below you will find a screenshot of 'Decline charges that fail CVV
verification' ticked under fraud prevention settings. This setting has
never been changed. You will also see a screenshot below of the customer
order page from Nov 3 with fraud analysis showing 'CVV isn't available.'

Thanks for your help here.

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]
ayellowgiraffe
Excursionist
32 0 59

I had the exact same issue. Billing address & zipcode matched but CVV was not available. Yet it was a low fraud risk. What steps were recommended? I always had the options to automatically decline if AVS and CVV failed, which it has done in the past, except for this transaction.

reuse
Tourist
3 0 6

Why did Shopify not respond to the follow up response?

Amy333
Visitor
2 0 0

I’ve been having same issue. Why won’t Shopify reply, is because their system is broken and they should fix it. I’ve lost money bc of this. And had to hire third parties to do checks on each person. Thanks a lottttttt shopify( obviously scarcasm) 

Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 173 316

Hi @Amy333

To answer @AlbertOradina@reuse @ayellowgiraffe, I did not reply to the initial response as it got lost in correspondence. Apologies for the delay in responding!

Regarding the CVV situation, it highly depends on how the customer checked out. Was it paid using Shopify Payments, or an alternative payment gateway? If using Shopify Payments, was it a Local Payment Method?

There will be times when the CVV (Card Verification Value) or the AVS (Address Verification System) checks are unable to run. This may happen because the card-issuing bank does not support this feature.

When customers are checking out with Shop Pay, Apple Pay, or Gpay, our CVV checks may not need to run, as the information may already be verified on our end from a previous transaction.

Depending on the gateway it will appear differently, but can be viewed by clicking on the payment in the order timeline to expand the details, and then it will be listed in the 'Information from the gateway' section. There are a couple of examples here, i.e. cvv unavailable or cvc unavailable:

I appreciate that receiving a chargeback is upsetting. It's great that you're trying to adopt preventative measures to safeguard against this as best you can. I imagine you'll have seen our Fraud Prevention Tips, and our Fraud Filter app.

Another thing you could try doing is ensuring you are manually authorizing your orders, instead of doing it automatically. This will give you the opportunity to have a look at the order to see if anything seems off to you. You could cross-reference with the fraud prevention tips I listed above. You'd change this setting by going to Settings > Payments:

You could then once again place details from the suspicious orders into your Fraud Filter app.

I hope this helps! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Amy333
Visitor
2 0 0

Please help this thread further!