Can I log into my control panel via VPN?

Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi,

Logging into the shopify control panel is very slow in my country, so i
have to login via a VPN to get faster network speed. Is it OK to login via VPN?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1064 64 124

Hi there @DavidPeng!

Don here from Shopify. :)

It is definitely possible to log into Shopify while using a VPN, but there will be knock-on effects on your ability to use the site.

Third-party channels like Facebook, Google Shopping, etc. may not be available to you if using a VPN to access the internet.

There might also be issues with connectivity or security you experience as a result of this.

We would advise against using a VPN to connect to Shopify, but you essentially can log into Shopify using one; it will just not be an ideal experience for the reasons listed above.

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi,

I'm sorry but connecting to Shopify through a VPN doesn't work. I tried with Nordvpn and with a personal VPN and systematically getting an error 429 in both cases. This is a huge issue for me and surely for a lot of people. I often connect on public wifi  and use a VPN for security reasons. Unfortunately i can't use a VPN to use Shopify so it's totally unsecure (but i can use facebook through VPN....). It's just a shame you have this article https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/your-account/account-security/phishing but it's impossible to use a VPN with your website, at least the day i'm writing this post. It would be useful to correct this else i'm afraid i gonna have to contact your support soon after been the target of a hacker....

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
89 1 7

It seems Shopify has blacklisted VPN users from logging in now. That is a shame.

Highlighted
2 0 5

I'm having the same issue. Its really unacceptable that we cant edit a shop whilst on public wifi and behind a VPN connection...

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1064 64 124

Hi all!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

Our developer team is currently aware of some temporary expected behaviour which is preventing the users of VPNs from signing into their Shopify stores while connecting via a VPN-type service.

This behaviour is being addressed, but for now, you can access your store from a connection that is not using any type of hosting provider or masked connection.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 5
HI Don,

Thanks. I think we all have that one figured out already. Bust aside, that isnt the point here. The point is that we cannot use secure connections to our stores…. VPN’s are something I use daily - even when browsing and checking emails.
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 1

Hello, 

I'am currently living in north-africa but I used to live in france. Is it possible to operate into the french market through VPN and being overseas ? 

Best regards, 

Yann1 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
89 1 7

Any update on this issue?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1064 64 124

Hi @PurpleMamba!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

The temporary issue which was preventing VPN users from accessing Shopify was resolved shortly after that point.

There would still be issues with using third-party channels like Facebook, etc while using a VPN but the specific, temporary issue discussed above has been mitigated and you should be able to log into your store.

Regards,

Don