Can I move my domain from godaddy (to shopify) and then can I connect my gmail a/c to my domain?

Solved
Excursionist
16 1 1

Hi there,

Prior to joining Shopify and creating my store, I first brought my domain t8cloth.com from Godaddy.

I am now looking on how to connect my gmail a/c t8cloth@gmail   to my domain creating info@t8cloth.com.

I saw a few YouTube videos on how to do this but in each case it look like Godaddy needs to be hosting your domain. You can then use their Cpanel to set everything up.

My problem is Godaddy only sold me the domain but is not hosting so there is no Cpanel to access. So I then thought I had to buy an email address from Godaddy to go with my domain. This costs $5USD per month. This then takes me to Office 365 (which seems Godaddys way of handeling email)....and then I am totally lost. I have been using Cpanel for years but this connection to Office 365 is a pain and I regret choosing to let Godaddy handle my email.

So my question(s) are:

1. Can I move my domain over to Shopify. Even if I have to sell/cancel/rebuy it from Godaddy so that Shopify can use it?

2. Can Shopify then allow me to connect t8cloth@gmail to info@t8cloth.com for all in/out email.?

want to stick with the gmail front end as its nice and easy to use.

Many thanks,

David

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
561 24 58

Hi there @T8!

Don here from Shopify. :)

While it is possible to transfer a domain to Shopify, as with all domains it is only possible to do so 60 days after it has been registered.

It would also be necessary to purchase a year's subscription to this domain (even if you have time paid-for remaining on this domain) but this would be added to your existing registration time for this domain so you have the same cumulative total time to use that domain. 

For domains hosted via Shopify, in order to add a custom domain email service, it would still be necessary to add a third-party email service.

Shopify domains will come with email forwarding functionality as standard, but in order to reply to your customers' emails, you would need to add a service like Zoho or Gsuite to your Shopify domain.

Check out the guides linked above, think about what you would like to do here and let us know if you have any further questions.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Excursionist
16 1 1

Thank you for your reply Don.

I have just spent hours with Godaddy trying to get their email alias working via Outlook.com but I have now given up.

I can move my domain over to Shopify tomorrow as its only a few weeks old and then at least I can get the forwarding part done.

It looks like Zoho handles the gmail alias reply part so I will sign up with them tomorrow as well.

Many thanks,

David

0 Likes