Can I online courses on the blog section of my Shopify store

Highlighted
Excursionist
26 0 4
Can I sell online courses on the blog section of my Shopify store? If yes how do I go about it. I need help on this thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
668 50 146

Hi, @Oduah!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

It's great to hear that you're wanting to start selling online courses. How do you plan on creating the courses?

If you haven't already started creating them, it might be worth checking out some apps like Courses and Thinkific. Both of these apps give you the ability to create online courses with custom-branded content like video, text, downloads, quizzes, surveys, assignments, discussions, and more. Your customers will also be able to login to the course platform to access course content and view their progress. There are a ton of great features in these apps I think you'll find useful. I recommend checking out both options to see which suit your needs the best.

Is there a reason why you are wanting to sell your courses in the blog section of your store, rather than in a collection? Depending on how you create the courses, selling them from your blog can be achieved in a couple different ways. For example, if you decide to use an app like Courses or Thinkific, then you could simply link to your courses from your blog using hyperlinks. You may also be able to embed them using custom code. 

Another option would be to add your courses as products, then use an app like Blog Product Spotlight or Related Products & Blogs to embed those products in your blog. Again, you could also use custom code to achieve this. If that's the case, then it might be worth getting in touch with a Shopify Expert who can assist with the customization.

For some more great suggestions on how you can use Shopify to sell online courses, I recommend checking out this forum post. There, you'll find some app recommendations to help you offer and promote your online courses. We also have a Shopify Masters podcast episode called, "Selling Courses and Membership Programs on Shopify". In this episode, you'll hear from a merchant who also sells online courses and learn how they create and market their courses. As you continue developing your own online courses, I think you'll find it quite useful. 

What kind of courses are you wanting to sell? Are you going to be selling other products alongside your courses? I'd love to hear more about your business plan!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 3 2

One reason for not wanting to use an app like Thinkific is to not burden our users with multiple logins. They would have a login for the store, then a separate login for courses, not to mention any other apps which may require customers to leave shopify and use yet another login.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
668 50 146

Hey, @mnearents! Thanks for joining in on the conversation.

It's totally understandable that you want to keep logins simple for customers. Is there a reason why you are wanting customers to also have their own customer account on Shopify, though? Typically, customer accounts in Shopify are intended to provide customers with the ability to login and track their orders, as well as see their order history. Since you're selling online courses, this may not be necessary and it make make more sense to just have your customers create a single account on Thinkific. 

Taking a look at Thinkific's help doc on getting set up with Shopify, step 10 suggestions adding a Thinkific login link to your Shopify store, which will redirect customers from your online store to Thinkific's login page. To set this up in Shopify, you'll just need to add a menu item to your navigation by heading to Online store > Navigation > Main menu > Add menu item. From there, you'll see the option to enter an external link. Thinkific's help doc that I've linked above outlines how you can find the correct login URL to enter here.

Then, you can remove the Shopify customer login icon from your website by either disabling customer accounts, or editing your theme's code; this forum post includes instructions on how this can be done. While it's specific to the Debut theme, the steps outlined there should be similar with any other Shopify-developed theme. By disabling the Shopify customer login option and replacing it with a link to login to their Thinkific account, the login process should be fairly simple for customers. 

That being said, if you are needing to also have customer accounts required on Shopify's end, this shouldn't be a problem for customers and it's not unusual to have a separate login for a course platform itself. In fact, thinking back to my university days, this was fairly standard as students would first need to login to their student account (in this case, your Shopify store), then into the course platform (in this case, Thinkific). However, if this is something you are really wanting to avoid and if the workaround mentioned above won't suffice, then I suggest having a Shopify Expert build out a custom solution for you.

I hope the above workaround works for you, but if it doesn't, I'm curious to know why you are needing to have separate customer accounts within Shopify. Feel free to respond here and let me know; I'd be happy to continue bouncing some ideas around. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 3 2

Is there a reason why you are wanting customers to also have their own customer account on Shopify, though?

Yes, because our shop is more than an online store. When people log into our shop, they aren't just managing their orders. They are downloading digital files from our digital subscription. They are taking classes they have purchased. Our store is more of a hub than a store. We're more than just a cookie cutter e-commerce store. There isn't any benefit to sending our users over to other platforms. Our current non-shopify store allows users to have a single login for all of this. It would be a strange experience for them to suddenly have 3-4 different logins.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
668 50 146

That makes sense!

If adding the Thinkific login option to your main menu won't be a sound solution for you, then I would strongly suggest contacting a Shopify Expert. They should be able to help build out a custom solution for you so that your customers will be able to manage their orders, download their digital files, and access course content through Thinkific all through a single login.

While you can browse the Shopify Experts Marketplace and reach out to Experts individually, you can also create a job, which will match you with an Expert who is best suited to your needs. If you choose to create a job, then I suggest referring to our help docs on hiring help and working with Experts, which offer some pointers on how to create a job, define your job scope, and provide Experts with collaborator access to your store. 

I'm confident that you'll be able to achieve the setup you need by working with a Shopify Expert; there a ton of highly skilled web developers who will be happy to help you with this!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 3 2

For anyone looking, I also found two apps that let you host the classes on your actual store, meaning your customers won't need a separate login:

Courses by   Architechpro OÜ

Courses & Elearning by InflowKit

1 Like