Can I recreate my website on Shopify after subscribing to it?

Nathanial
6 0 0

Hello,

I would like to use Shopify Basic, so I can use the app integrations to work with smartrmail.com, but I have a website already, and I am wondering if I can recreate my website as it is by copying the code over, more or less, to my Shopify website, if I were to get one. My current website is www.almostanythingpublications.com

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1103 105 276

Hey, @Nathanial!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Because Shopify websites are built using a unique code language called Liquid, it's not possible to transfer code over from websites that were created on other platforms. 

For this reason, you will need to create a new website using one of Shopify's highly customizable themes, all of which can be found in the Shopify Theme Store. Since you're new to Shopify, I suggest referring to our YouTube tutorial on how to use the Shopify theme editor. This will provide you with some guidance on how to customize your website.  

Once you've created your Shopify account, you can install the SmartMail app from the Shopify App Store. This app will integrate directly with Shopify and allow you to send customers email newsletters and automations. 

Are you already doing any email marketing with your current website? If you're new to email marketing, feel free to check out our guide, "Learn Email Marketing: Everything from List Building to Advanced Lifecycle Automation". This guide covers the basics of email marketing and includes advice on the types of email marketing campaigns you can send. It also includes tips on how to measure your email marketing performance through analytics. 

I hope this helps and I'd love to learn more about your business! Are you planning on using Shopify to sell books online? 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Nathanial
6 0 0

<<Deleted by Poster>>

0 Likes
Nathanial
6 0 0

Dear Julie,

Thank you for responding. Our code was not from another platform. It was primarily css and html from a hosted site where we had to do everything from scratch. I did purchase a theme, "label" (https://themes.shopify.com/themes/), and I am using SmartrMail already; I tested it out, and it seems to be working. We are primarily a book and music publisher, but we do more than that. We sell books, music, and other copyrightable works, and we work with live performing artists above and beyond the publishing aspect, like a hybrid of a publishing company and a variant type of a record company. We will be pointing our domain of almostanythingpublications.com to our new version of our website, which is presently https://almost-anything-publications-llc.myshopify.com (where to access it, the password is "publishing"). I am also considering using https://apps.shopify.com/sections-pro to help me too. I was more or less asking if I can use the css and html that we use on our current website on our Shopify-based website. I appreciate your support already, and I would appreciate any other advice that you may have for me. I am planning on having our new website go live tonight for the Memorial Day weekend sale we are offering on Monday. Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Nathanial Isaacson
CEO and Publisher
Almost Anything Publications, LLC
Oregon, USA
0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1103 105 276

Thanks for the quick followup!

I appreciate you sharing the link to your Shopify store. It looks really good so far! Just don't forget to add a background image to your header; right now, I see the default background behind your logo. Even a simple plain white image would look good there. You can add an image by heading into Online store > Themes > Customize > Header and selecting the Image option in the Content section. 

Before you launch, I also suggest adding a favicon to your store. A favicon is the little icon that appears in your browser tab, next to your website name. This can help strengthen your brand and give your website a more polished, professional look. The "A" graphic in your logo would make a great favicon. 

To circle back to your original question, because Shopify themes are built using a different coding language, it likely wouldn't be possible to copy and paste the code from your previous website. There may be certain elements you can carry over from your previous website. However, as I'm not trained in custom code, this would be an excellent question for a Shopify Expert

Is there a particular reason why you're wanting to add the Sections Pro app? Are there specific sections you want that your current theme doesn't offer? When it comes to using apps, I always recommend that merchants keep it simple. Using too many apps can slow your site speed down and cause unnecessary clutter. 

Lastly, it's great to see that you're offering a Memorial Day weekend sale. This is an excellent way to promote your launch. Are you running any paid ads? We actually have direct integrations with Facebook and Instagram, making it easy for merchants to create and manage their ad campaigns directly through Shopify. This might be something worth considering if you'd like to promote your sale. 

Thanks again for your response!

0 Likes
Nathanial
6 0 0

Dear Julie,

I will work on those two things right now. I am struggling with one thing. When I go to the cart, it shows a book in there. Why does it show it in there? It also shows it for others too. Do you know how to get rid of that? And thanks for your a quick reply! Also, I don't know yet if I need to add it. It was suggested by the theme programmers when I asked about finding ways to edit additional pages, and that is when they suggested that app. I definitely don't want to slow down the website, and I am not in a hurry to add it. I was hoping to get your feedback, which is why I mentioned it.

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1103 105 276

Awesome! Sounds good. 

It's likely you had added the book to your cart at some point, which is why you are seeing it there. If you clear your cache or access your website using a different browser, then the cart should be empty. 

While on the topic, I suggest placing a test order before you launch. This will help you get a solid understanding of the order process and it's one of the steps we recommend taking in our Essential Store Launch Checklist

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck on your launch!

0 Likes
Nathanial
6 0 0

We have an favicon and a white background for the header! Thank you so much for suggesting these changes!!!! Do you like the favicon? Do you think it works?

https://almost-anything-publications-llc.myshopify.com/   - "publishing"

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1103 105 276

It looks great! Nice job. 

I hope the launch went well. Did you happen to create any ads or email campaigns? I'd love to hear how you promoted your launch. 

0 Likes
Nathanial
6 0 0

<meta charset="UTF-8" />

I am finalizing contracts for my other clients. That is more important than spending money on ads with very little product. I needed potential clients to see the website in the first place before they sign contracts with me.

0 Likes