Can I redirect domain on a paused store temporarily?

Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 11

I am considering closing my Shopify store and moving to another platform. Mailchimp divorce and cost being my main reasons, not that it matters.

So I have developed the store on the new platform, but I want to pause the Shopify store and redirect my domain URL to the new store site for a month. After a month I will decide if the savings are worth it, and if not, want to redirect the URL back to the Shopify store again.

I'd appreciate feedback on 1) whether this is doable and 2) any concerns I should be aware of. TIA

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
241 8 38

Hi, @ShopkeeperVicki.

I'm sorry to hear that you are considering moving away from Shopify and we understand if you feel that’s the only way forward, though we’re here to help sort out any technical issues that are preventing you from doing business. Happy to help you here with your questions regarding your domain!

Where did you purchase your domain from? This is certainly doable, but the instructions on how you go about this differ depending on where your domain is hosted. Just let me know and I'm happy to advise!

Freddie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I am considering doing the same - what is necessary? My domain is thru HostGator, and has been redirected to Shopify. I need to redirect it to my Etsy store (had it directed there prior to Shopify) ... I just don't want to lose all the work in Shopify as I'm not sure I want to leave Shopify permanently.

0 Likes