Can I use paypal instead of bank account?

bohemianrandi
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi there,

I'm brand new to Shopify and I was wondering if I could connect my paypal to receive payments instead of my bank account? I use my paypal for business- my bank account is shared with my husband. Really would not have to set up another account just to receive payments.

Also, is there a way to hide my phone number from my customers? I'd rather not give that out.

Thanks!

-Randi

Replies 7 (7)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @bohemianrandi,

Nick here from Shopify. Good question! 

It depends on where you are located on whether or not you can connect and use your PayPal account for payments. Can I ask where you are located and we can take a look then? Generally, you can connect your PayPal account and another payment gateway to enable both. This would only apply for PayPal and another gateway, you wouldn't be able to connect two gateways which only apply for CC use in this sense. 

Something else to remember is that it must be a PayPal business account and not a personal one. You can see more about setting up PayPal on your store from the link here. Let me know if you have any other questions about this! 

Thanks, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

bohemianrandi
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi there!

Yes I'm in Georgia, United States.

Also, I do have a business account.

Thanks!

-Randi

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Perfect. In this case, you should be able to add a PayPal account to receive payments for your store. You can see the steps on how to do this and set it up from the guide here or below: 

1. In the PayPal section, click Deactivate.

2. Click Deactivate again to confirm.

3. In the PayPal section, select your PayPal account type.

4. Click Activate.

5. Enter the email address for your PayPal account, then click Next:

6. Enter the password for your PayPal account, then click Log In:

7. On the PayPal permissions page, click I Give Permission.

8. On the PayPal confirmation page, click Go back to Shopify.

9. Make a test transaction to make sure everything is set up properly.

And as I mentioned before. You can add another payment gateway if you like to give your customers multiple options. You can see the other payment gateways available in the USA here as well as Shopify Payments

bohemianrandi
Visitor
3 0 0

Ok thanks!

Just to clarify, this is the paypal express checkout?

So all payments will be deposited in my paypal account?

And I can't enable shopify payments unless I want them deposited into my bank account?

Just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

That is correct @bohemianrandi

You can connect PayPal for the PayPal express checkout and those funds will be third party and go directly into your PayPal account, all through PayPal. You can then also have Shopify Payments connected where the payments for those transactions will go into your bank account. 

Something to remember is that all of the PayPal sales will register only with PayPal and they won't show up in your admin in the payouts section, that would only be for sales made via CC on Shopify Payments. Hope that helps and answers your question! 

etherglo
Visitor
1 0 0

How do I remove my own bank account from my shopify payouts. I would rather the money go into my paypal account. When I try to manage payout options, there is no option to delete my bank account and only change it to a different one.

PrimeHypeSW
Visitor
2 0 0

can you use a business PayPal if you're from Montana? id only like to use it for the time being considering my EIN confirmation letter is taking forever to get here, so I've been trying to figure out if I can use business PayPal for now and switch the payments over to my business bank account once I am able to open one.