Can I use shopify for orders only? Not payment?

lostinspace
Excursionist
13 0 5

I need a shopify site to list products only.  I will obviously pay the $30/month fee.  But do I have to accept/use credit cards for the orders?  My products do not require payment.  Is this a thing?  Shopify without accepting payments?

Replies 18 (18)

wangtengmike
Tourist
7 0 1

Maybe you can price your products to zero so they dont get charged ???

lostinspace
Excursionist
13 0 5

Is this my only option?  anyone else know?

wangtengmike
Tourist
7 0 1

If you download Gempages builder in the app store

And create your custom product page in gempages

You can delete the Add to cart and buy it now button, so your page only shows product image and description 

lostinspace
Excursionist
13 0 5

I still need to be able to receive the order as if its a normal order.  I just don't need to accept payment.  So I setup a "Manual payment method" which shows up during checkout.  They can select it.  But I can't also turn off credit cards.   When I try to Manage Shopify Payments to deselect everything it says I need at least one.  I don't want one. 
screenshot_008.jpg

lostinspace
Excursionist
13 0 5

I found it at the bottom of the page, Deactivate Shopify Payments.

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Hi, @lostinspace and @wangtengmike!

Olivia here from the Shopify Team.

I came across this thread and I wanted to make sure there were no further questions in regards to the set-up you are seeking.

It's totally possible to use Shopify without using our platform to transact funds via credit card as you have figured out, @lostinspace.

Step 1 Disable Shopify Payments

Step 2 Enable Manual Payments

1. Head back to Settings > Payments.
  2. Set up your chosen manual payment method

This way the order will come in as per normal, and you can still fulfill as you need to. Let us know if you have any further requirements for your custom set-up and I'd love to help you figure out a solution.

Warm regards,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

PR1RobertC
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi there, I found this topic after searching the same question the original poster had. However, I need to go further, as we can't mention payments or show anything as "free" during checkout. 

The company I work for is setting up a client shop with items our client's employees can order at will. These orders will be collected and every 2 weeks these orders will be fulfilled and we will bill our client with our internal invoicing and project management software. 

Our client's employees who will be ordering these items do not need to see the cost of the items, and because all items will be shipped and fulfilled every 2 weeks, it doesn't make sense for them to see shipping costs.

The items we are creating a storefront for have pre-negotiated prices that tier depending on the amount ordered, so no prices we list on the storefront would make sense in that regard.

The problem is, using the information in this post, if we set everything to $0, including shipping, when our client's employees check out, the checkout page says it's all free with free shipping. This opens up a liability since it's not in fact free OR free shipping. We want to avoid any confusion of employees thinking these items are free or shipping is free, when they are not. 

Point is, the employees ordering these items do not need to see anything having to do with payment or costing, we just need to be able to take their orders, that's it. 

How can we accomplish this?

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

@PR1RobertC it will be a series of workarounds since shopify is generalized for consumer customer journeys. So going to checkout, receiving automatic notification emails, etc.

Use draft orders for this, there are automation apps like mechanic that can facilitate parts of this.

https://tasks.mechanic.dev/create-a-draft-order-from-the-cart

still need theme-customizations/settings or create some sort of portal to suppress prices

If the store is public you will also need content-gate any products meant for only certain accounts. makers of mechanic also make the locksmith app for access-control of online-store channel storefronts.

Or create a separate dashboard using a tool/service like retool, or even googlesheets, to collect the orders to build the aggregated invoice.

A bit different if the client is on a PLUS enterprise plan and can use the B2B features.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Jimmmmy
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi, I think I'm trying to do the same thing which is have the user select products and have them go into the shopping cart and then submit without payment. I would receive the order and I would review it and send an email with an invoice and a button to submit a payment. So, that can work, if I understand correctly? I'm currently having trouble testing it but maybe I have to publish the site first?

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Hi, @Jimmmmy!

Thank you so much for joining our thread today.

The solution to your question will be a little different than what is described in this thread as you ultimately still want to support transactions for payment, just after the order is reviewed.

In this case I'd recommend an approach that is more suited for pre-orders which are typically done with the aid of an app. Here are some top contenders for you to look through for consideration:

There are also many others, some with free plans and others with paid options. The full list can be found on our App Store. To make your decision easier you can consider pricing, merchant testimonials and the star review in the linked listings.

If you have questions about a specific app or require personalized assistance you can even connect with the apps' developers directly. 

I trust that helps,

Jimmmmy
Tourist
4 0 2

i will try that approach out, thanks so much Olivia

Jimmmmy
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Olivia,

To clarify, I want the customer to select items (without listing the prices) and submit, without payment (or pre-payment), their list of what they would like to order and then get back to them later, via email, with a response that includes which of their choices are available and how much they would cost and allow them to submit payment at that time. I hope that makes sense. I think of pre-order as paying in advance which is not what I'm looking for. Maybe more like a wish list? 

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1698 146 303

Thanks for following up again, @Jimmmmy!

I'm sorry to hear those apps weren't a good fit, but it makes sense that your needs fall outside of this. I wonder if a "request quote" type of app could offer this solution for you. Check out our solutions at this link

There are also a tone of wishlist apps, though they work a little differently than what you described. They would essentially allow the customer to favorite items they could browse or purchase later, but may not offer the interactive experience you talk about.

Since you have very custom needs it's also possible neither of the apps we have will work. In this case you can also explore your options by working with an Expert

Check those out and see which you like.

Jimmmmy
Tourist
4 0 2

OK, thank you

Norsey
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Olivia,

Similar question for you. 

I need to set up a store that allows me to list products, and show their prices. But when people check out they don't get charged. We need to make sure all the products are fitted properly to the person before we charge them using our own internal payment system. What is the best way to show how much a product costs but have someone be able to check out without paying anything?

Shay
Shopify Staff
2828 442 576

Hi @Norsey 

Great question! In this case, I would set the product prices at $0 and edit the product template to hide the product price. 

I would instead include the price for the product in the product description or a separate field so that customers don't see the $0 price. Or clearly describe to customers that they will check out without paying and you will be following up with a quote and invoice after the fact. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 

Norsey
Visitor
2 0 0

Okay!

Is there a way to add a separate field that still shows on the shop page as if it was the price? We'd just like people to be able to see the price from the main shop page where all the items are listed. (But we need the actual price field to say zero, so they can submit the order)

Emily
Shopify Staff
1309 101 189

Hi, @Norsey.

Thank you for your reply! 

Yes, I think the compare at price option would work for this. What theme are you using? If it is a Shopify developed theme then our design team can look into helping you adjust the way the compare price looks so it doesn't show sale or cross out the price. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions! 

Talk soon, 

Emily | Social Care @ Shopify