Can Shopify allow a cookie consent to deny Shopify cookies

Highlighted
Excursionist
110 0 5
I was looking at this free cookie consent window and was wondering if it’s able to allow users to accept or deny cookies instead of just telling that a website uses cookies

https://cookieconsent.osano.com/download/
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
428 23 67

Hi, @skytowner11 . 

Brie here from Shopify, thank you for reaching out about this. I wouldn't be able to speak to the function of that third party app, however I would recommend taking a look at Shopify's Cookie Policy. 

The policy details that in order for your site to function properly, some cookies will be necessary. This is because cookies are required to allow you to access secure areas of Shopify and utilize its features. Your customers have the ability to block cookies in their own browser settings, however doing so may result in the site not being fully accessible to them or they may not be able to check out of the site.

I definitely understand wanting your customers to have the ability to turn these off, however the cookies make both your experience as a merchant better and the customer's browsing experience better as well. As a merchant, these cookies give you the ability to track information needed for your Analytics, Reports, and abandoned carts, and also helps protect your account security (detailed in the cookie policy above). For customers, it allows the site to remember details like their preferred language on the website, creating a better customer experience over all. 

If you are concerned about your GDPR compliance as a merchant, take a look at our GDPR help docs here, for more information. If you have any additional questions about this, feel free to reach back out or contact our live support any time here. 

Brie | Shopify Support

Brie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi!

I also have some questions regarding this subject. Our legal consultant made this comments over our Cookies management:

"Your cookie banner does not comply with the legal requirements either. First of all, it must appear in German and all explanations must be in German.
The customer must have the option of switching off the cookies he does not want, or in the selection itself, all cookies except the necessary ones must be activated in advance."

1st question:  how can we translate the cookie text or can you recommend an app that does it automaticaly?

2nd question: she clearly said there should be an option to turn of the not so necessary cookies, can you recommend an app or give us advise in how to manage it?

Thanks a lot!!

irina

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
428 23 67

Hi, @pitayayoga!

As mentioned above, cookies are required on your Shopify store in order to access secure areas such as the checkout. I would suggest having your legal consult take a look at the cookie policy linked above. If it does not comply with a specific business law in Germany, please have them contact us with documentation showing this. 

These cookies are necessary in order for the site to function correctly - your customer can always disable them in their personal browser, however this may cause issues on your site. Regarding the translation of your banner, we may be able to give you a hand with that if you're using a Shopify theme. What theme are you using? As well, are you currently using multiple translations, or is German your main language on your site? Cheers! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

I found a good app to take care of it.

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi Brie,

that's weird.. i thought the cookie app was working correctly, as it  says in the picture:

Captura de pantalla 2020-09-07 a las 19.37.21.png

we use GDPR CCPA +  cookie management.

can it be that we have to pay for it. Could you help us solve it, I thought installing the app was enough..

Do we have to pay to offer the option of selection the cookies:

Captura de pantalla 2020-09-07 a las 19.42.32.png

Thank you so much for your help

irina

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

we use the "april" theme 

thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
428 23 67

Hi, @pitayayoga

As that's a third party app, your best bet for support with that will be to contact the app developers directly. You can find their support information on their page in the app store. 

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
30 2 8

Hi Brie,

I realise this is a slightly old post but you say:

As a merchant, these cookies give you the ability to track information needed for your Analytics, Reports, and abandoned carts

Thats the thing. Analytics and marketing cookies are not deemed “required” or “necessary” and they should be set as opted-out by default. The native Shopify cookies that are set as opted-in by default and as far as I’m aware developers have no access to this art of the system to alter this state?

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

@Steve30 - is there any solution yet (by Shopify or 3rd party app)?

0 Likes