Can Shopify allow a cookie consent to deny Shopify cookies

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
428 23 67

Hi, @PRo!

Merchants can use an app such as Easy GDPR + Cookie Bar to allow the customer to confirm consent of the cookies upon visiting the site. That said, as mentioned above if the customer does not accept the cookies then you may find certain parts of the site may not function correctly for that customer. They can also always do this from their personal browser settings. 

@Steve30 - You can view the opted in analytics and advertising cookies in the Cookie Policy linked above. That is a great question though, and I can certainly understand wanting to have those opted out by default. I've reached out to our Partners team to see if developers are able to alter that via the API or other coding, outside of creating a cookie consent app or using an existing third party app. I don't believe this is currently possible, however they'd like to look into this further for you to be sure. I'll send you an email shortly to authenticate your Partners account so that we can send that up to them to dig into for you. Cheers! 

Brie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Thanks @Brie 
The issue is that this app does not actually block cookies nor starts in an opt-out state, correct? But this is mandatory to be GDPR compliant. Is there any free app that does it already today?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hej @Brie 

I would like to donate additional insight about cookies and local legal practice (Croatia).

According to local legal practice, no cookies should be sent to customer’s browser, from web site, before customer give consent for any of cookie types. Customer must manage consent before starting to use web site. E.g. try to use Google search from EU before giving consent

That would mean, even user have to consent with necessary cookies, no cookies should be sent to browse before consent.

Giving opportunity to temporary stop any cookie from Shopify before consent, will improve Shopify web site to be even more compliant.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
428 23 67

Hi, @PRo and @Robert82

I dug into this a little deeper for you, and there may now be a workaround that we can offer you in the case that your region requires specific cookies to be opted out in order to be GDPR compliant. We can do this via enabling an additional setting that can allow you to limit non-essential tracking where required. Please note that this is still in beta and is subject to change.

Something important to note when considering this is that it will have an impact on the accuracy of your store's analytics, including the marketing attribution. At this time a banner for collecting consent is not available, however you'll be able to limit those non-essential cookies for customers from regions where this applies.

Let me know if this is something you'd like me to look into for your store. Cheers! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hej @Brie 

That sounds promising

I am using external provider for cookie consent compliance, they are CookieHub (http://cookiehub.com/)

If you could provide more info and guidelines how to implement this new feature, I will forward it to CookieHub to see what they can do to achieve even better compliance.

Yes, I am aware that cookie opt-out will impact accuracy of your store's analytics, but that's how things are

Robert

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
428 23 67

Hey, @Robert82

No worries at all. We can't guarantee how this feature will react with your existing cookie app, so that will be something you'll want to speak with the app developers about. I'll send you an email with more information and we can go from there. Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hey Brie.
Please make the information shared by email publically available.

In Denmark all non essential cookies like Statistic and marketing must be blocked by default until the user consents.
I have tried your Shopify Consent API but shopify still places cookies for statistics and markting by default.

Maybe I'm doing something wring.

Please share the information regarding a solution or workaround.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Is there a solution available yet? I need it too to open the shop... Legally all users must accept or deny or be able to configure the cookies they want to accept or not for any website and I cannot do it with shopify.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
428 23 67

Hi, @Biogirasol and @PatrickAlessi

The beta mentioned earlier in the thread has finished, and is now part of the platform as new settings and an app. You can find more information about this here. The beta mentioned above was referring to the new settings mentioned on that page under the "Tracking European customers and GDPR compliance" section. Let me know if you have any questions after reading through it. Cheers! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi Brie.
I have tried enabling "Tracking European customers and GDPR compliance" which downgrades shopifys cookies to session cookies.
According to GDPR these actually have to be blocked totally befor consent is given - but this is apparently not an option. 

Now, the documentation stetes: "If a customer consents to tracking, then the non-essential cookies are upgraded to persistent cookies, which are not deleted when the customer closes their browser."

Does this mean that Shopifys cookies will be upgraded? This is a bit unlear.

I have tried running this script via google tag manager when a user gives consent - but shopifys cookies remain session cookies.

On every page:

<script>
window.Shopify.loadFeatures(
 [
   {
     name: 'consent-tracking-api',
     version: '0.1',
   },
 ],
 error => {
   if (error) {
     throw error; // if you want to raise
   }
   new Banner(); // or whatever method your banner uses to initialize
 },
);
</script>

When consent is given:

<script>
function handleAccept(e) {
  window.Shopify.customerPrivacy.setTrackingConsent(true, hideBanner);
  document.addEventListener("trackingConsentAccepted", function () {
    console.log("trackingConsentAccepted event fired");
  });
}
</script>

Now I might have misunderstood this completely.
I'm not trying to control 3rd. party scripts - but trying to control how shopify places cookies.

0 Likes