Can Shopify create a customized PDF as a digital download?

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

We need to sell a license (a downloadable PDF). To create the license the customer will need to provide certain information fields (their name and less than a dozen or so other text fields) that will appear on the license. This license needs to have an incremented, unique, serial number. We need to be able to retrieve that information on a backend for reporting purposes.

Is this something that can be accomplished with Shopify?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
627 55 155

Hi @pgpg,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. There are a couple of options that spring to mind for you here, which I will detail below.

One method you could adopt would be to have customers fill in a form that is sent to you, allowing you to gather the necessary information before they pay for the license. You could create your own form using our HTML editor on Shopify pages, or make use of an form-building app such as the examples listed below:

Once you have a form set up on the website, customers can provide the information you need to populate the license. You can then draw up a draft order which can be sent to the customer for them to pay.

Alternatively, you can use an app such as Infinite Options to allow customers to enter in the relevant information before they purchase, and allow them to make the purchase online. You can use the app to add custom fields and gather the information from the customer this way. Once you have the order with the information included, you can generate the license and send it out to the customer.

I hope this makes sense but please do let me know if you have further questions!

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

The Infinite Options plugin looks good but how does the PDF get generated?  Is this a standard feature of Shopify that can take input from the plugin or would I need another plugin for that?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
627 55 155

Hi @pgpg,

Shopify would not be able to take the information provided by customers and automatically populate the PDF template of the license you have, no. The Infinite Options app would allow you to capture that information when customers check out but the information would still need to be manually inputted by yourself to generate the individual license, and then sent to your customer. It's possible to upload a PDF file and have customers automatically receive it when they make a purchase via the Digital Downloads or SendOwl apps, but this would only work if the customer were to receive a generic PDF file and not one that includes information that is specific to them.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Thanks.  Having to manually create these PDFs means this is a non-starter.  We'll look elsewhere for a solution.  Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Shopify Expert
66 0 9

We do this all of the time for clients across all platforms. Happy to discuss it with you.

A similar project we did was for quilting patterns where the store passes the order information into an application running elsewhere that generates and manages the PDF. In this case it was a quilting pattern that embedded the license and a non-interfering watermark w/ additional information. Licenses are tracked in a simple reporting dashboard.

Sincerely,

Thomas Granger, CEO, FDG Web
www.fdgweb.com
tom@fdgweb.com

About Us: We're a full-service digital agency with all in-house employees. We can be your developer or designer "on-demand".

http://www.fdgweb.com
0 Likes