Can Shopify pay into a foreign currency account?

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hello, I am also located in Australia, but instead of using our current Australian Shopify site, we have a different Shopify site for the US. Can you please tell me if it is possible for the US site to pay USD into an Australian foreign currency account (an account held in Australian that is set up to accept USD)? Because we pay our suppliers in USD we want to avoid converting the funds to AUD. But we do not have a bank account or address in the US so we cannot open an account in the US. Instead we are hoping a foreign currency account in Australia will be ok?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
195 20 48

Hi, @Nicola123!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for reaching out about this. You'll be happy to know that you're able to change your payout currency - as long as the bank your payouts are paid to accept the foreign currency. In order to change the payout currency, follow these steps:

1. Head over to Settings > Payments and click "Manage" above Shopify Payments.
  2. Scroll down to the "payout details" section and click "Change bank account".
  3. There, you'll have the option to change the bank account and the currency via a dropdown box.
  4. Once you've selected the currency, simply click save and you're done.

Please note, if the currency option is greyed out, that means your bank may not accept other currencies. If you do see this, please let me know so I can take a look for you, as may need to manually intervene. We have a detailed guide on selling and getting paid in different currencies that I would recommend checking out as well.

As you're based in Australia, there are some other great gateways that may of interest to you that may also offer payouts in foreign currencies. You can check out a full list here: https://bit.ly/3mlLGRU.

Keep me updated with how you go!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0
But we don’t want to change the payout currency. We want to receive US
dollars and put the US dollars in our foreign currency account. We do not
want Australian dollars. The issue is that the foreign currency account is
held in Australia. Can you please answer?--
Nicola Caras
Journey Of Something
www.journeyofsomething.com

Instagram
Facebook
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
195 20 48

Hi, @Nicola123

Thanks for getting back to me. I totally understood your question and was working under the assumption that you're currently set up for AUD payouts, but wish to receive USD payouts to an Australian bank which accepts foreign currency. Is that correct?

Can you please clarify if you're currently receiving payouts in USD or AUD? You can find this information by heading to Settings > Payments > Manage and scrolling to the bank account section. This will display the last digits of the current bank account listed and the payout currency next to it.

Thanks!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

the site is in development so we haven't set up a bank account yet.  I was under the assumption we would set it to accept USD payouts.  

should we set it to accept USD payouts and then connect the foreign currency account? 

0 Likes