Can a shopify store access customer credit card information

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

I have made an order on a Shopify-powered website known as http://www.cotonetlin.com/ and I think it might be a scam. The payment was billed on my credit card as "STARLINK WWW".

I would like to know if this website, or any Shopify website for that matter, had any possibility of storing the credit card number I inputted during payment.

Can someone from Shopify answer this?

Many thanks in advance,

HCR

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1426 87 315

Hey, @HCR!

Great question! A store is required to use one of the payment methods available for their region which are vetted payment processors. None of these providers, including Shopify Payments provides the full credit card details to the business owner. They will only see the last 4 digits of the credit card, and based on the payment provider, may see the first 6. Only if you provided your credit card details to the business to manually charge the account would they then have access to this information.

That said, due to our strict privacy policy, we are unable to say whether a store is using our platform. If you're unable to reach the business about your order then contacting your bank will be the next best step as they can help you file a dispute against the business. If this happens to be a Shopify store then filing a dispute will also send us an internal flag to review the store and ensure it is adhering to our policies.  

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

(To be fair, the CNAME section of the DNS records is a pretty good clue of what platform is hosting the website.)

Thanks for the answer though, it's reassuring. What do you mean by "only if you provided your credit card details to the business to manually charge the account would they then have access to this information."? On the website, at the end of the checkout process, there is a payment form with choice to pay either with credit card or Paypal. I suppose this would be the standard way of paying, and the manual way would involve exchanging emails or something else outside of the system?

Best regards,

HCR

0 Likes