Can't add a product to a collection

Rocket_Radio1
Visitor
2 0 3

Hi all,

Please help, I have just started my Shopify store and have meuns with nested menus and that part looks great.

I have just created my first product but can't seem to add it to the colection where it should be (Or any collection come to that) 

When I go to edit the search for collection to add to box comes up but won't display any collections to add it to even though I can see them on the home page.

Waht am I doing wrong please?

Replies 37 (37)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

Hey, there. 

From the sounds of it, the collections you've created are "automatic" collections which would be why they don't appear in the search box when trying to add the product. When an automatic collection is created, you would create a set of conditions for that collection to automatically pull the product. Should the product not meet these conditions then it won't appear, nor can it be added manually. 

If you head to Products/Collections, you'll either see a dash (-) or text appear under the "Product Conditions" column: 

If you see a dash, that would mean the collection is a manual collection which should allow you to add the products manually. Alternatively, there would be a set of conditions for the collection such as "Product title is equal to xyz" which would mean the collection is an automatic collection. In the event that you created automatic collections, then you'll need to make sure the product you wish to add meets those requirements as that should properly add the product. 

If you're still having issues with getting the product added, then feel free to share a few screenshots of the product, and the collection you wish to add it to. With that, we can work to finding a solution! 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2227absolute
Visitor
2 0 0

EEBA5F87-38F6-4180-8CD2-3571BCE048E6.pngI’m having trouble removing products and adding products to my collections. It wont let me change them to manual to change. Please help.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@2227absolute 

Once a collection is created under "Automatic" or "Manual," it can not be changed. If you are trying to remove products from an automatic collection, then you would either need to update the conditions of the collection or modify the product, so they no longer meet the requirements of the collection. To add products, it would be the reverse. The products would need to meet the conditions created for the collection, or you would need to change the conditions of the collection to align with your products. You can find more information on both manual and automatic collections here. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

jmacd711
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I followed your instructions in regards to manual/ automatic product collections. and the dash/ text. All my collections have the dash. I am specifically trying to add to my accessories collection. When I go to my accessories collection, it even shows my product that i want in the collection. But then when I load my website, there is just nothing there. I must be missing some step, but I have gotten over 20 products into my other collections with no problem. Is there maybe a setting on the product itself or somewhere else? 

Thanks,

James

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@jmacd711 

It may be connected to how you have your navigation set up to direct to the collection as it could be that you've filtered the navigation by tags when setting up the option in Online Store/Navigation. When you open your storefront and navigate to the collection page, what do you see in the URL box? Is it domain.com/collection/collectioname or are you seeing something different? 

Kawaiiholic767
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey there,

I wonder if I can add a product in more than 1 collection.

thank you so much!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@Kawaiiholic767 

Yes, you can. Your products are not limited to one specific collection and can be added to more than one collection within your store. 

cheroki
Visitor
1 0 0

I have edit the product to what I put in my collection. But it still will not appear when I am trying to add product to collection 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@cheroki 

Is it a manual or automatic collection you're trying to add the product to?

house-of-maat
5 0 0

Products Error.jpgProduct ErrorProduct Error Attached are my before (automatic) and after (manual) collections pages.  I deleted and recreated my collections because the automatic function did not provide me to upload my product pictures to the collections.  After reaching to the DSL forum, they recommended this link as a follow up to better assist me in successfully uploading product pics to the collection. I'm still having the same problem.  I am now 3weeks behind on reaching out to suppliers in hope to open my store.  I've asked if DSL 7.1 version is latest version because I am having numerous issues in setting up my mock store with certain tabs and functions in both DSL and Shopify.  I cannot afford to pay an expert to do this, is there anything else that I can try to do in order to resolve this issue ASAP?  This is the only problem that I see that is preventing me from contacting suppliers. 

Thank you in advance.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@house-of-maat 

I'm not sure I understand your issue as Collections shouldn't have any bearing on how you import product pictures. They are different areas of the admin and do not rely on each other. Collections are only for product sorting and not product content (i.e. images) other than adding a featured image to the collection. 

I'll need further details on what you're trying to achieve so I can better understand the end goal. 

house-of-maat
5 0 0

The following attachments are clip of what is showing in Shopify and the clip below is what is showing on the DSL products/collection side.  Am I to save the collections on under the "json" template or the default template?  I am only using the DSL template to create my store until I am able to purchase payable templates or an expert. 

Product Error.jpgProduct Error2.jpgwhat is showing on the Shopify side

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@house-of-maat 

Thank you for the context. Looks like you're using a third-party theme that would be unsupported by Shopify. Based on the information I found in our Developers Help Centre here, you can create "json" collection templates to alter the appearance of your collection pages. Collection templates can be applied on a per collection basis by clicking into the collection in your admin, then updating the template in the lower right corner 

06-57-17804-46336

My guess based on the information provided is that you will want to use the "default" template in the theme settings if you wish to continue using the DSL theme. That should help resolve your question; however, if it doesn't, then you'll need to contact the theme developers for further support. We can only support the creation of the collections and how they work with Shopify Supported themes. 

I would highly recommend using a Shopify theme moving forward. We offer 9 free themes along with a variety of paid premium themes. 

Does this help? Let me know

house-of-maat
5 0 0

It sound like I am being told two different things.  DSL provided a theme function that they display on their tutorials on how to build a store and now your telling me that I have to use shopify themes in order to build my store.  I've tried using the "json" template and this was the results from that template below.  Is there another option or would I have to scratch my current design and start fresh?  That will set me back and delay my launch date.  I can't pay an expert to do this so I am trying to do this on my own.  

Product Error.jpg

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@house-of-maat 

You're welcome to use the theme you're currently using; however, Shopify can not support how the theme operates. Any support on the theme will need to come directly from the theme developer. Should you use a Shopify free theme then we would be able to assist you with any issues that arise from using the theme. 

If you want to continue using the theme you've set up, then DSL will need to assist you further with how their theme displays the content that is pulled from the admin.

Rocket_Radio1
Visitor
2 0 3

Hi Peter,

Fantastic thank you. 

Is it possible to change a collection from Automatic to manual once it has been created or do I have to start again?

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

Hey, there!

Sadly, no. Once the automatic collection is created it can't be converted to a manual collection. This rule would also apply for manual collections as well as they can't be converted to automatic. 

Username3000
Excursionist
13 2 8

That's awful. Products synced to store should have the ability to be manually added to a automatic collection. Otherwise, the option to "add product to collection" should not be made visible as an option. This rule should be made much more clear and visible. 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

Hey, @Username3000!

Automatic collections were created to pull in products automatically based on a set of conditions set out by the creator. To manually allow add products would defeat the overall goal of automatic collections. Where are you currently seeing the text "add product to collection?" Is this within an app, or the admin itself? Could you share a screenshot of where that appears for me? 

Chat soon!

ashleykantjana
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

I made an automatic collection with specific conditions to it. A bunch of my products match the conditions however the products are not automatically added to the collection? Is there an error in the system maybe?

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@ashleykantjana 

Hard to say! Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the conditions you created?

bennychan
Visitor
1 0 0

@Trevor 

Can you answer me about when i add the product ( before i have added the collection ) , i cant choose the added collection on left hand column , please see the picture, thank you  ,pic1 is the collection , pic.2 adding product cant show and search the collection, pic 3, 

in collection cant auto detect the tag "ed" product 

螢幕截圖 2020-01-22 上午1.17.48.png

螢幕截圖 2020-01-22 上午1.18.09.png螢幕截圖 2020-01-22 上午1.18.24.png

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@bennychan 

Only manual collections will appear on the left-hand side when creating a product. Your "Bath" collection is automatic as it is pulling in products that are tagged with "bath." If you want to add products to your collections manually, then you would need to delete the automatic collection and recreate it as a manual collection. 

hoo-dat
Visitor
3 0 0

I've never had this problem until today. 

Product will not add to Collection when conditions meet the Tag. Everything is matched perfectly but product will not add to collection. 

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@hoo-dat 

I will want to take a closer look at that for you. I've sent an email to the email listed on your forums account. If you can reply there then I can review your store. 

Charlotte036
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey, 

Do you have it set to match all conditions or any condition.

I’ve just deleted all of my collections to try again as I had the same issue, I’ve just realised however that they weren’t adding because although they matched their individual conditions , I had “all” selected. Therefore they weren’t adding as they didn’t have every single condition in their name.

Romanov
Visitor
1 0 0
Hey there!

So what can we do to add products on a collection if there is no option box to on Admin to add a product to a collection?
How can we add a product to a collection, either automatic or manual?

Thanks in advance!
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

Hey, @Romanov!

Our guide on how to create and add products to a collection should answer this question. Were you running into issues with these steps? If yes, let me know by posting a few screenshots of what you see below.

Chat soon!

Tamsin
Tourist
9 0 0

I've just jumped in on this question since I ran into the same issue earlier today and googled my problem and found this.  I've created a condition for certain items relating to Ag Day Products and in Vend I've put that as a description and then all products will go over to that so that is great.  The problem now is that I've added a Dog Collar which in the first instance goes under the product description Dog, however, as well as having these collars available in my Canine Section, I also want them available in my Ag Day Section since they can be used for Goats and Sheep.  However, as it hasn't got the Ag Day product in Vend it won't go in the collection and I can't add it manually.  I can only have it in either section?  That doesn't seem very flexible.  Also, does this now mean I have to completely remove my Ag Day condition and go back and add them all manually?  Annoying.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

Hey, @Tamsin!

There are a couple of routes you can take here. One way would be to alter the conditions of your AG collection so that it's a bit more versatile. For example, instead of using product vendor, you could use a product tag. Using tags would then allow you to pull in a variety of different products and achieve the desired outcome of having dog products in both your dog collection, as well as your AG collection. Alternatively, the other route here would be to change your collections to manual collections so that you're able to pick and choose which products appear. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cynthiagarden
Tourist
7 1 5
Metal Jewelry
Title

Conditions
Products must match:
all conditions
any condition

Condition 6 value
metal jewelry 

Add another condition
Products
Sort:
Best sellingProduct title A-ZProduct title Z-AHighest priceLowest priceNewestOldestManually
Sort:Manually
(I see all the products here!)

But on my Website, reflectonart.com...
 under, Metal Jewelry
0 products
Cynthiagarden, where hopeisfree
Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@Cynthiagarden 

In cases like this where the products appear in the collection, but not on the website, this would typically indicate that the navigation option itself is set up incorrectly. Taking a look, your URL ends with: titanium+stainless-steel+magnetic-therapy+copper+geranium - These would be tags that are attempting to filter the page to show products that match this list and not the full collection itself. 

To get this fixed up, you'll want to head over to Online Store/Navigation, select "Main Menu" (or the menu this collection appears in):

19-09-5klgm-grw8c

Click Edit on the menu item you need to change: 

19-09-p5hm1-uvim4

If tags appear, you can remove them and click save. If no tags appear, then select the "X" and readd the collection: 

19-09-okxcc-p61q5

Let me know if you run into any issues along the way!

Cynthiagarden
Tourist
7 1 5

Thanks for your prompt reply. As soon as I get back to “work,” I’ll let you know what happens! Can’t wait! 

Cynthiagarden, where hopeisfree
Veseo
Visitor
1 0 0

I have a number of products that continue to show on the website even though they are out stock.  I have altered all my collections to include the condition of inventory greater than 0 so this won't happen.  However, there are quite a few products that won't roll to the automatic collection even though they meet the criteria.  Since they are automatic I can't manually add them.  Any thoughts on why the collections won't show up?

Veseo_0-1621479562766.png

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@Veseo 

Hmm, it's hard to say without looking at the account directly. From the sounds of it, you do have everything set up correctly based on our help document here. It could be that we need to flush the cache of your storefront (something only Shopify Support can do from the backend) as this would likely fix this issue. Alternatively, it could be an issue with how the products and/or collections are set up. 

While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

khosi11
Visitor
1 0 0

greetings all! I came because I was having that same iddue as well, and then I see that even with a few REPLIES here, there still wasn't a direct answer to the problem. But I was wrong. The answer is here, it's just in pieces kinda. I went back to PRODUCTS+COLLECTIONS+prefered COLLECTIONS title, then REMEDY#1: encountered CONDITIONS. I set CONDITIONS to ANY CONDITION+PRODUCT TITLE+CONTAINS. Hitting SAVE here collected some of my products into the chosen COLLECTION because now it read the cues from my product title. But since I have imported products, some still weren't included because product titles also contain all that description and other info. So remedy #2: use the blank space next to CONTAINS to ADD TEXT....a word or short phrase that shows in your PRODUCT TITLE or PRODUCT DESCRIPTION. Now your products start to match and load into the list. And there's an OPTION to add as many descriptive terms, one underneath the other, till all your needed products are in the required COLLECTION. A possible solution #3: edit some of the titles, descriptians, or tags of the product it's self to match you COLLECTION stats. 

Good luck everyone! I hope we all prosper! 

Tonilene
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I recently joined shopify free account, want to ask after I created the 2 collection and 2 products the 3rd product i created i cannot link to my collection anymore, its showing only Home. 

note: all my collection is created through automatic.

Thank you for your support ahead.