Can't upload an optimized/compressed animated GIF

Highlighted
1 0 3

There was the start of a discussion on this subject in the past in this forum, but no response can be found.

I want to have a background video running on a panel in my site. Some static text would be in front. Because Shopify (and many browsers) don't seem to work properly with actual video (MP4) files, I've created an animated GIF instead.

The original animated GIF works okay, but doesn't load all that quickly. The trouble is that it's about 11MB in size! I've now run it through three online GIF optimizers that knock 40+% off of the size of each of the files. However, when I then try to upload and replace the file with any of the new compressed files, Shopify indicates that the file is corrupt and won't accept it!

Can anyone help me with this?

Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 11

I'm having the exact same issue as this. Trying to upload a compressed GIF file and getting and error that the file is corrupt even though it works fine locally.

Did you ever find a resolution?  Can anyone from Shopify comment on this?

Highlighted

Did Shopify accepts the GIF animations?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 63

Ok I FINALLY figured it out:

1) upload your GIF to  https://ezgif.com/repair

2) select the Gifsicle unoptimize

3) upload to shopify!

You can do this after optimizing and it only adds about 4% :D

Highlighted
1 0 0

It worked, thank you so much!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

THANK YOU ! so much !!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Thank you so much! Works like a charm :)

Highlighted
1 0 0

Wow thanks so much, have been trying to get this to work for the past 24 hours and was just about to give up but... it WORKED! Phew.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

It works! Thanks for the solution.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
16 0 0

Incredible! Thanks!

0 Likes