Can the name of the collections handle be changed?

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, question a shopify noob who is pretty non-technical - my shop buttons are links to my collections but the handle in the URL is /collections.  We don't want to use the word collections... we would replace with 'products' would some kind person let me know how i could change - and perhaps more importantly, if i change the handle in the current URL will it 'break' something else, as i'm conscious collections is a standard term used across shopify... much appreciated. Ali C

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
356 40 70

Hey, Ali!

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify. Thank you for sharing your question with us and contributing to the Shopify Community Forums!

Due to the way that collection and product URLs are structured it isn't currently possible to remove the word "Collection" from the URL. That being said you can adjust the handle at the end from within the collection page here:

19-47-luvmh-jo0fq
19-52-kvmu5-klepw

The good news is, if you already have buttons or links that are set up to point to a different URL that doesn't exist anymore you can create a URL redirect! This help guide here explains how to do that within Shopify. That way any time somebody is trying to go to an old link that no longer leads anywhere, they will be redirected to the right page! This is good to keep in mind if you adjust your URLs in future too so that no links end up broken.

Are you working on your URL structure to help build up your SEO? If so I think you'd enjoy this course we have in the Shopify Academy. It's completely free and it will help you get started with building up your search engine ranking!

Please don't hesitate to share any further questions you have on this with me here.

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes