Can we sell fashion masks on our Shopify store?

Vickram75
1 0 0

We manufacture Organic Cotton Face Masks in different prints and fabrics.

I wanted to see if we can sell the fashion face masks on our site.

hope there are no restrictions.

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 93 139

Hi, @Vickram75

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out about this. 

You are able to sell face masks in your store. However, due to the nature of your product, please be sure to review and follow these Rules of Engagement for the sale of COVID-19 related products to prevent any disruptions to your account.

You may also find this Help Doc on Resources for Businesses impacted by COVID-19 useful for creating a store at this time.  

Best of luck!

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
RuthFlanagan
Excursionist
25 0 5

Hi Helen

Thanks for linking to those pages.

I believe my store www.wildsidefacemasks.com is in alignment with these guidelines. If you could take a quick look to confirm, that would be awesome.

my reason for asking, is that I wonder if my site is somehow not ranking or being suppressed in google due to the youth of the site? Its hard to blog or make any content in the new normal without mentioning the virus, pandemic or protection.

I know FB and Insta are not allowing promotion. I understand the need to discourage gouging and profiteering, but i think it is clear in my approach, product details and content that this is not the case.

My daughter has been designing face masks and learning photoshop to do it all herself. Our masks are printed and handmade in the USA and Canada by local communities  (no sweat shop or price gouging here - we only make a few dollars profit that we plan to donate to conservation if we ever cover the cost of shopify!) her friends and our family love the masks and designs, so we decided to make them available for everyone!

Great in theory. 

I have started an etsy store too - their rules state we cannot make health claims (understandable) but also should not mention covid, coronavirus or other key terms. is shopify the same?

Im not sure how we can run an ecommerce store - and create content like blogs that are good for seo, without mentioning the current pandemic and coronavirus?

In addition, there are more uses for masks beyond the current pandemic - our goal is to create fun masks that can be used for play as well as keeping kids a little safer. In Australia, bush fire season and allergy season are also good times to have effective, well made masks available. not to mention travel (when we can) to parts of the world with smog or pollution, or sandy deserts.

So its getter harder to stick with Shopify if my sites visibility is actively being suppressed - we cant keep $$ in every month.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated in this turbulent time. I want to give my daughters ideas the best hope of success - as well as inspire kids to be safe!

Cheers

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 93 139

Hi, @RuthFlanagan. These are definitely hard times we’re all going through. I think it’s truly inspirational that you and your daughter have started a business in spite of it. Your motivation for doing so is amazing, and your masks are so unique!

That being said, I’m not a part of the department that reviews stores to ensure compliance, and so I’m afraid I won’t be able to advise as to whether or not yours is. However, what I can tell you, is there aren’t any hidden agendas, so please review the Rules of Engagement for the Sale of COVID-19 Related Products again, and just do your best to ensure you are following them. 

One of the main differences between Shopify and Etsy is that Shopify is best for entrepreneurs who wish to have full control over their business. This includes all of the marketing and branding, since Shopify isn’t a marketplace like Etsy is. Therefore, there aren’t many restrictions on using terms related to COVID-19 in your product descriptions or anywhere else on your Shopify store, however please steer clear of using any excessive claims. For example, avoid claiming that your masks block the virus, or prevents the wearer from contracting it.

If you are working on your SEO (which is a great way to essentially advertise for free), there are quite a few built-in features to the platform that can help you with it. Take a look at the response I threaded in this forum post to help you get started.

I noticed that your domain redirects to your Etsy shop. Have you started your Shopify account yet? Remember, there is a 14-day free trial so please feel free to start an account and take a look at the platform to see if it will work for you. If you are keen and would like to begin building your online store, this setup checklist is a great resource to help get you up and running as quickly as possible. 

I hope this helps, and I wish you all the best in your Ecommerce journey. If there’s anything else I can do to assist, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes