Can you be Scammed via a store on Shopify?

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi guys..

I responded to an advert on Instagram for an item on sale by a store done on Shopify. 

I bought the item and all, I got the email confirmation, they took the money out of my account - but when I go and try to check my order or even the store where I purchased that item it shows me that it no longer exists. I get the following text exactly:

Oops, something went wrong.

What happened?
This shop is unavailable
What can I do?
Request ID: 9d69ff0d-c537-42f9-9785-6b989bc3fc3f

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum section or if I am going about it the right way - if anyone is able to guide me or direct me to the right methods to verify if the shop was indeed legit and my items on the way or if I was scammed.

Thank you, guys.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
38 7 5

Hi dii24k,

If you bought something from a store that is not online anymore you probably won't get your products. I think the best thing to do is contact Shopify Support for this case.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3039 227 496

Hi @dii24k,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Sorry to hear this has happened to you after ordering from this store but there is definitely a course of action you can take to help you here. The first thing I would always suggest is to reach out to the store directly but since this doesn't seem to be possible as they are closed, your best step is to reach out to your bank directly about this. Your bank will have measures in place for you to follow in this case and will be able to help you in relation to the payment made from your account. 

We do also have an FAQ community post going through all the details of this process which you might find useful. You can see this topic here

If you have any other questions about this, don't hesitate to let me know.

All the best, Nick

P.S. Something to always remember here is that for the privacy and security of all merchants using the Shopify platform, we're afraid that we wouldn't be able to give out any specific information on any store nor can we confirm if they are using our platform to host their online business.

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Thank you Nick... I'll keep you updated on what's going on. I'll talk to my bank today.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Got the same message after placing an order on https://bargayalu.com/

The payment was sent via PayPal to priscillawood93@gmail.com with the Chinese name

深圳市科新泰科技有限公司

Too bad that such scams can exist on a good platform.

I will contact my bank.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Just to update the community...

Yes contacted the bank and got the money refunded back 2 days ago.

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

I'm glad for your success. Will reply too when my case is settled.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

It looks like there is a modus operandi using these temporary Shopify stores.

For example, googling the product "puzzle NASA Commemorative Edition-The Moon and The Earth" generates first few results of unavailable shops:

https://abugiarini.com/products/the-moon-2

https://forthanks.shop/products/the-moon

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

What bothers me in all this is that Shopify seems to be uninterested to put a restriction on random people coming up with pop-up stores...

Most of the 'shopping' scams apparently come from Shopify! 

I'd really like to think the community managers will rethink the rules of starting up a shop online and make it restrictive from some random online dude conducting business and hard-earned $$$ only to be another scammer from these random regions in the world which would or should trigger the admin flags here something to keep an eye on.

Anyhow - Goodluck mate... you will get the money back if your bank is half decent..

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Sadly most of the ads that I see on Facebook these days are scam ads hosted by Shopify.
That is not say or suggest that all ads or sites hosted by Shopify are scam sites. It is
that the majority of ads and sites advertised on Facebook seem to be Shopify based. It
would appear that scammers use Shopify and Facebook to try reach more people with their
offers of merchandise that they never intend to actually deliver to their customers.

0 Likes