Canadian Business Selling in Canada & USA

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hello, we are in the process of migrating to Shopify and hoping someone can help with functionality ideas.

Right now we operate two separate stores. One USA currency that pays-out to our USA bank account. And one Canadian currency that pays-out to our Cad bank account. 

We export to the USA and use a broker so we prepay all of the tariff - duties broker fees etc. As our USA customers are not familiar with these charges. We simply roll it into the price. We try to keep it as seamless as possible. Not cheap though it adds about 15-35% to the cost of product. What we do then for example is charge the same $ figure in both countries. The exchange we gain from USA sales covers most of the extra costs.

For example If we sold a chair for $100. It's $100 Cad or $100 USD . Instead of $100 Cad and $70 USD with brokerage tariff fees of $30. This keeps it simple and easier to manage.

1-Preferred outcome

We want to have ONE store with two currencies. BUT

Store to auto switch currency based on the customers address. 

So we would need to override the exchange amount, force it to not change $ figure

And make provision to have two separate payout currencies.

2-Now we are looking at having two stores with their unique single currencies. In which case we need an easy way to sync as they are 95% identical. 

OR any ideas? Our goal is to achieve streamline simplicity.

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
need warehousing minutes away from Canada border in New York
SSW FULFILLMENT
shippingss@primelink1.net
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi I am also in this exact situation. Have you come up with any ideas as yet? 

I believe option 2 is best as I have not seen a theme (at least one that is free) which offers a controllable CAD to USD conversion rate. They're all automatic.

I also want to know what implications there may be SEO wise for having identical sites.. does Google not penalize this?  

Please don't give up! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

We had the same issue.  We want to sell to Americans in US Dollars, and Canadians in Canadian Dollars.  Unfortunately, although much requested by the community, true multi-native currency  has never been implemented by Shopify. 

We went with the two websites example.ca and example.us.  Some Americans have prejudice against buying from a non-American site, which is ironic, since practically everything is manufactured offshore these days anyways.  With two sites you can use the Queens's English in Canada, and use the American dialect on the US website, and process in each countries native currency.  In over 5 years we only have one American complaining that they were really buying from Canada, and we are in the top 2% of Shopify sellers.

Don't worry about Google Duplicate content penalty.  They have been smart enough to sort out any duplicate content issues and regionalization for years now.

You do realize you can ship up to $800US (more than $1000 CAN) to each US Customer, duty free each day.

2 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Wow! Thank you so much for the helpful insight. I am going to create a new site - I own both .ca and .com - But still, I am very new to this so please forgive my ignorance. I have a few more questions..

1) Are you using a US address or still in Canada for your 'shipping from'?

2) Did you use a sub domain or new altogether?

3) Are you redirecting Canadian traffic to .ca, and US traffic to .com via IP?

Thanks again for your help!  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Hi Kamohear

We use our Canadian shipping address for both sites.

.com and .ca would create two separate domains.  

We use a GeoIP software, that directs the customer to the proper country site (we find it over 99.9% accurate). You buy it outright, instead of the monthly app fee, and was easy to setup.  Can't remember the company name, but it had something to do with black belts.

Good Luck !

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

We went with the two websites example.ca and example.us.  Some Americans have prejudice against buying from a non-American site, which is ironic, since practically Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin everything is manufactured offshore these days anyways.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi everyone. I have been searching for this information for a while. Thanks a lot for sharing it. Keep us in touch in case of any new updates.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi All, 

Just wanted to add a discovery I made to see if anyone has implemented it with success. It appears there is a tool in Google Search Console called 'International Targeting'. This tool is only available with .com sites. Once the .com's country has been targeted. The .ca or .fr will automatically be targeted towards its specific country.

(as an aside, it speaks to the value of a .com domain) 

Now, I could be wrong but it seems the purpose of this tool is to redirect users based on their IP or region - what else could it be doing? There is also a section for language tags. 

Has anyone experimented with GSC tool prior to using a paid service/GeoIP app? 

internationa target.png 

Thanks a bunch! 

0 Likes