Canadian citizen opening a shopify but operating from abroad

Highlighted
3 0 0

hello,

i am a designer and painter, working as a freelancer without a registered company.

I am a canadian citizen but currently residing in lebanon, i plan on traveling and working from different countries (UAE, EGYPT).

is it possible to open a canadian shopify shop, have the payments linked to my bank account in canada while operating in different countries and shipping worldwide from them?

i hope someone can help with the legality of my concern

thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3244 245 555

Hi @PS13,

Nick here from Shopify. Great questions! 

I spoke to someone on our tax team, as this is where I could see any potential issues cropping up for you on this.  From a tax perspective, you would need to have a Canadian business registered with the CRA and will also need a BN (business number). Something to wary of would be the Risk assessment team getting in touch and require proof that you are physically operating from Canada. They could ask you to prove you do so with questions such as proving you ship from Canada or have an operation address of some kind such as an office, warehouse or retail location. So while it would be possible, these are definitely things to think about and consider before setting the store up. 

I hope this helps explain and answer your question. If you have any other questions about this, please let me know as it can be tough on the best of days! 

Thanks, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

thanks nick, 

what if i open a shopify account in lebanon but link my payments to my bank account in Canada, i will have proof that i am shipping from lebanon and proof of a registered company is it feasible?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3244 245 555

This wouldn't work either. You must be operating / shipping from Canada to qualify for a Canadian Shopify Payments account. My advice to avoid any potential errors would be to use a Lebanese payment gateway or a payment gateway Shopify is partnered with in Canada for what you want. You can see the gateways Shopify is partnered with in both Canada and Lebanon below: 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes