Solved

Canadian currency when order place, after completed show USD on order, why?

JenniferBest
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi has anyone had the issue of currency being automatically change on an order after it has been completed?  We use Shopify to sell our merchandise to Canadian, US and Australian customer.  I had placed an order last week for a Canadian customer and all the way up to the order being completed is show Canadian Dollars.  When the order had been completed and the payment gone through and I viewed the order it shows in USD.  Any one have any idea why, has this ever happened to anyone else on this form?  I am waiting for a response to my inquiry from Shopify  

Accepted Solution (1)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 158

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @JenniferBest!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. I can totally understand the confusion here when it comes to the currency conversions in your Shopify account. Essentially, when you have a multi-currency store enabled, the customer will be able to pay in their own currency, but this will always be converted to the stores default currency that's listed in Settings > General. If your store is set to US currency, your payouts and orders will be displayed as USD.

You'll be able to view a breakdown of this in your payouts screen as well.

1. Head over to Settings > Payments.
  2. Under Shopify Payments, click "View Payouts".
  3. View the transaction in questions and click the down arrow on the right-hand side.

Here, you'll be able to see the original currency the customer paid in, the conversion into USD (including the fee), the Shopify Payments fee and the total amount to be paid to you.

To learn more, please check out our guide on selling in multiple currencies. This will include information about limitiations of multi currency - including creating draft orders and using different payment processors.

If something doesn't seem right after reading the above, it may be best for us to view your account to help further. To do this, you'll need to chat with our live support team here.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 158

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @JenniferBest!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. I can totally understand the confusion here when it comes to the currency conversions in your Shopify account. Essentially, when you have a multi-currency store enabled, the customer will be able to pay in their own currency, but this will always be converted to the stores default currency that's listed in Settings > General. If your store is set to US currency, your payouts and orders will be displayed as USD.

You'll be able to view a breakdown of this in your payouts screen as well.

1. Head over to Settings > Payments.
  2. Under Shopify Payments, click "View Payouts".
  3. View the transaction in questions and click the down arrow on the right-hand side.

Here, you'll be able to see the original currency the customer paid in, the conversion into USD (including the fee), the Shopify Payments fee and the total amount to be paid to you.

To learn more, please check out our guide on selling in multiple currencies. This will include information about limitiations of multi currency - including creating draft orders and using different payment processors.

If something doesn't seem right after reading the above, it may be best for us to view your account to help further. To do this, you'll need to chat with our live support team here.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

loreen_sawatzky
Tourist
8 0 4

Hi Miles, this response was very helpful! I had the same issue. 

I'm hoping you answer another question. I help manage a Canadian store and for some reason, product prices are showing up as USD instead of CAD in the search engine listing. Screenshot 2023-04-11 at 2.37.39 PM.png

Do you have any advice on how I can fix this to show in CAD? 

Thank you!

desertflower
Visitor
2 0 1

I am having the same issue.