Canadian store confused about shipping!

Highlighted
1 0 0

I’m in the process of building my store and I’ve been a little confused about some aspects of shipping as a Canadian store.

How do you guys deal with shipping US orders? Canada Post rates to the US seem very high.

As I understand, you can’t generate return labels from Shopify as a Canadian merchant. How do you guys deal with customer returns? What’s your process?

Any information would really be helpful. Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
72 7 28

Hi @ShaneClark ,

We don't ship through Shopify. 

We have a Canada Post account. Over time your volumes will create bigger discounts with Canada Post.

For some Canadian Shipments we use another vendor. 

For US we don't use Canada Post. We go through yet another vendor (or the second one).

My point here: I'm not saying Shopify is a bad solution but it depends if it fits your use case. You can be creative and use Canadian based companies. Also build up credibility with your shipping companies and discounts. Reasoning here is simple: If you leave Shopify (never say never) you want to take your shipping discounts with you. 

DM me with your rough location in Canada and if you're local to the folks we use I can let you know who they are, and feel free to ask questions too...

GMKnight.

Store owner and app developer. Canada.
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi GM Knight.  I saw your answer on this thread a little while ago.  You seem to know your stuff about shipping !!   So, follow-up question !!  I'm not the original poster.

I'm also developing a store in Canada (Toronto) which will ship BOOKS, always in a box, and parcels may become heavy depending on quantity.  It doesn't take many books for a parcel to reach 5 kg (11 lb), as an example.  I have no problem shipping to the USA via a local vendor (NOT Canada Post), but shipping WITHIN CANADA is a challenge.  That 5 kg parcel will have a shipping cost of about $15 to $40 (by Canada Post) depending on the buyer's location.  Even with discounts from Shopify or volume rates, there's still a huge range in cost for the same parcel within Canada, and the range only gets hyyuuuger as parcels get heavier.  Given such a range, there's no way I can charge a single Flat Rate within Canada, which I'd like to do.  Perhaps several Flat Rates depending on location, not simply by province but very specifically by Canada Post FSAs (Forward Sortation Areas, 1st 3 digits of postal code, of which there are 1500+) which I'm sure would require a pretty fancy app.    .... Anyway, suggestions are welcomed for shipping heavy items within Canada !  Or helpful apps for setting up very specific shipping zones. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
72 7 28

@Jon-in-TO ,

Great question! Of which I don't really have a great answer. About 10 years ago I requested Shopify add shipping classifications by weight as well as cost (for free shipping light vs not free shipping heavy) as I had a similar problem to you. Unfortunately the solution was never implemented although I might be able to implement myself now I'm developing apps (mentally making a note here)!

I'd be interested to compare your shipping supplier with our alternative to Canada Post. DM me - I'm not sure if I can use vendor names directly in forum posts - and perhaps we can kick it around.

I didn't find the right shipping-by-weight option for myself other than taking orders over the phone and adding a shipping cost on manually based on the estimate I would get from our supplier. Mostly I was dealing with large bulk orders with schools - so I managed to funnel them into that method of ordering rather than directly on the website.

Doesn't help much, but might create the start of a conversation...

GMKnight.

Store owner and app developer. Canada.