Canceled orders in reports

Highlighted
Shopify Expert
141 0 24

A client is asking:

Why does Shopify track the canceled orders in their revenue reporting?

Is there a way to exclude canceled orders in the Shopify revenues? 

I know when orders are refunded, the sales are reflected accurately, but not with canceling.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9884 100 1723

A cancellation isn't refunding so from an accounting point of view this seems accurate/valid to me. Does that not make sense on your side?

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

From an accounting point of view, a cancelled order should not be included in the sales report unless there is a contra transaction cancelling the order. As the order did not go through, no goods left the building, no money has entered the bank (or has been refunded/chargebacked/etc) and thus no sale has really happened. In effect, by keeping cancelled orders in the reports, sales are overstated and companies/owners are being taxed on profits they have not made. In an old fashioned way, if I had sent a sales invoice out to a customer and then they cancelled the order, I would then send a credit note to them - this would remove the cancelled order from my sales. Shopify - it would probably be a good idea for you to look into this one - as I mentioned, you may be allowing business owners to be taxed too much.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Any update on this please, it's a pretty strange way of reporting?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

So from sales report you can add a cancelled column that then resolves to yes, you then have to go eliminate those yes lines to get true sales, crazy!

0 Likes