For some reason taxes will now show up in the checkout page. I've read about 5 different forums on the same topic an none solved my issue. I also read the documentation about taxes and did not see an answer there either.
Things in my setup and notes.
1. This is a test/sandbox store under a Partner account.
2. Both the store and test orders I've processed are in California.
3. I do NOT have the "Show all prices with tax included" check box checked in the "Tax Calculations" section under "Settings > Testing".
4. All my products have the "Charge tax on this product" check box checked under the products profile.
5. The specific "Tax region" has the "Calculate taxes automatically" check box checked in the "Calculating taxes" section under "Settings > Testing".
6. The specific "Tax region" also has "Physical Presence" set for California and tax rate amounts for both state and local taxes.
Solved! Go to the solution