Capturing refund reasons via dropdown instead of text box

Jackson_Cunnin2
Excursionist
98 0 8

Our team uses refunds as a way to identify issues with products. Anytime a refund is issued in Shopify, order data is automatically exported to google sheets with order_number and reason_for_refund_notes.

The problem is that the "reason for refund" is a generic text field which allows any text to be added.

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 4.42.54 PM.png

When the data is synced to sheets, it becomes impossible to analyze because we have so many variations of the same thing i.e. "wrong color", "mistaken color" etc. Ideally we would just have a dropdown option with a list of preset reasons.

Another alternative I tried was using a metafields app to add a "refund reason" metafield to the order before issuing a return. However this causes issues because the metafield is only on a order level and needs to be on a SKU (order line item) level.

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 4.45.47 PM.png

Is there any creative approach to accomplish what we're doing? We just want to implement a simple process to capture all the reasons people are getting refunded (cancellations, returns, faulty products). I'm open to any creative approach... for example, tried adding a chrome extension "text expander" where admin can type in "rr" and all the return reasons are populated in the text box but it ends up being too messy due to the formatting of the one line text field and I can see formatting/spacing issues occurring with this approach:

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 4.51.36 PM.png

0 Likes
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1276 79 161

Hi there @Jackson_Cunnin2!

Don here from Shopify.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us here in the Shopify Community and thanks also for outlining your query so clearly; that's really helpful!

As this is part of the core admin functionality, it would not be an easy fix nor would it be likely that an app or customisation could cleanly do what you desire.

What I can do for you from here is to file a feature request for this with our developer team on your behalf.

Normally, we would request some info outlining what you want to see, why it matters for your business, and what workarounds may be available, but in this case, you have already provided all of that info so I can go directly to file this for you!

While we can't provide a timeline on the potential introduction of any requested features, I would recommend you keep an eye on our Updates Blog for announcements on new features and you can check out our Changelog for info on any new features or changes that have made it into the platform.

Thanks again for reaching out here to outline your request!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
LuisNicolas
1 0 0

That would be of great help!

0 Likes
Jackson_Cunnin2
Excursionist
98 0 8

In case anyone in the future is interested, here's what we ended up doing:

1. Install this chrome extension which will autocomplete fields on a specified URL (in this case, your shopify admin) based on a list of preset options

2. In the chrome extension settings, we created a list of preset options for all the "return reasons" we wanted to choose from

3. Now when we go to complete the return text field, we get a nice autocomplete with preset options:

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.48.22 AM.png

0 Likes