Cash On Delivery

Highlighted
1 0 0

How does cash on delivery work when the buyer is from a different country which has a different currency ( example: USD) but your store sells product in some other currency ( example: INR) 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
573 45 130

Hi, @Nishan!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Because cash on delivery is a manual payment method, offering US customers the ability to pay with cash would be quite difficult as you are not physically able to accept cash payment in-person.

In this case, it would make the most sense to choose an alternative payment gateway, rather than a manual one. With a payment gateway, you can accept online credit card payments from customers without having to request cash and coordinate payment. From both the merchant and the customer perspective, this would be a much easier way to accept payments from customers. Because you are selling in INR, I'm assuming you're based in India? If so, we have a list of payment gateways available in India here

Alternatively, if you're located in India, you could also take advantage of the Advanced Cash on Delivery app, which will allow you to limit the cash on delivery payment method only to customers in a specific region. This means that you can choose to only offer this payment method to local customers, where you can easily accept cash payment from them. US customers, on the other hand, will then be able to process their payment online using a payment gateway. 

As for currencies, while you could theoretically accept cash in any currency you like, you can only process online transactions in the currency your store is set to in Settings > General. That being said, you could use a currency app to display your product prices in your customer's local currency. Once they reach the checkout, the transaction will need to be processed in your store's currency (INR, for example), but displaying your products in your customers' local currency will give them a good idea as to how much they'll be spending.

Some popular currency apps I recommend looking into include Currency Switcher by Secomapp, BEST Currency Converterand Auto CurrencyWith these apps, you can add a currency selector to your theme so that customers can choose their currency. You can also choose to have the currency automatically change based on the location of your customer's IP address. Feel free to try them out and let me know what you think. 

I hope this clears things up! I'd also love to learn more about your business. Are you only offering cash on demand as a payment method or have you considered any third-party gateways? Which countries will you be selling to?

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes