Categories and sub-categories

Highlighted
2 0 0

Do you have main categories and sub-categories? Also I would like a list of the categories on my home page if that is available. Everytime I add a new product it starts a new collection, so I don't see how the customers can find same types of products like that. Should be able to have the Collection as the main subject like Outdoor Living and the sub collections like Windchime, Birdhouses, etc., and you should have a list on your home page with all the different main collections that people can click on.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 0 14

Hey Anthony!

Maggie here, Shopify Guru. :)

I can see why this would be confusing. We don't have a way to distinguish between categories and subcategories, but you can create all the collections (i.e. categories) you want, and arrange them in your navigation/menu to appear in a
drop-down structure. If that sounds confusing, please allow me to explain in more detail!

In your post you say that when you add a new product it starts a new collection. It shouldn't be doing this. Perhaps an app could be capable of this, but you usually need to create the collection in the Products > Collections section, and the collections will be either manual (i.e. you are picking and choosing products randomly) or automatic (i.e. based on conditions (rules) you set for the collection). Having organized products and collections is the first step, and really important! I would recommend reading through these docs here: Building Product Collections and Understanding Products and then watching these videos to ensure you have a good sense of how collections are built:

When you create your collections: Outdoor Living, Birdhouses, Wind Chimes, etc. they are all equal in the Shopify back-end, but when you set up your main menu (under Shopify Admin > Online Store > Navigation) you can "nest" the collections that you consider the subcategories (Birdhouses, Wind Chimes) under the main category (Outdoor Living). This will cause a drop-down effect to happen in the main menu.

Here's a doc that goes into more detail on this and has great visuals: Menu and links, as well as some videos:

If you're still running into trouble after going through those resources, let me know. You can also contact our live support which is available 24/7 -- some things are just easier to explain in real time!

- Maggie M | Shopify

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Maggie, 

Thank you so much for steering me in the right direction. I was confused that I couldn't get that on the site. Thanks for your fantastic knowledge. I will start setting this up now.

Thank you,

Anthony Angeloni

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 0 14

You're very welcome Anthony!

Let me know if you run into any other issues. :)

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

The youtube videos are not available... 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
487 28 701

Hi @connectmommy

Thanks for posting! I've updated some of the links in the previous post. 

TyW | Online Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm good with the menus drop downs and everything in between. Now my problem is that once I have my collections and sub-collections I can't have the sub collections thumbnails be shown under the main collection. 

Let's say a customer clicks in one category (collection) and under that collection there are 4 more subcollections grouped and I would like the customer be able to choose which one from there with a thumbnail of the collections of something like that.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I would like the same thing. I have my nested drop down categories but I want icons on the page where if a customer clicks "clothing" they can see icons on a new page showing "men's" "women's" etc and be able to have pages that follow and further sort such as clicking "clothing" and then "women's" and then "dresses" all using icons or a image as the button, rather than having to use the drop down menu or having all my categories icons on my main page.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph2-a8Dbio4

Just create collections and add them to main menu. Using drag and drop you can easily create sub categories.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

I'm needing the same thing-- I have the menu down-- that's not an issue at all.  

What I need is for example, on my homepage, where I have my "favorites" collection, if I click Photo Gifts, I want customers to go to a page with all of my photo gifts-- But sorted into their sub categories-- so instead of seeing a "dump" of all of the photo gifts, they'd see 4-5 different sub categories-- which doesn't happen by simply having them organized in the menu.  

So, by clicking Photo Gifts-- I'd have access to: 1.  Photo Mugs and Cups 2. Photo Apparel 3. Photo Slates 4. Photo Accessories... Without being able to add sub categories on each individual Collection page, we're not able to have it organized like this.  Which stinks-- on my previous host, I was able to put my sub collections on each "main" category page-- and then it kept everything organized... While Shopify blows the previous host out of the water in most other areas-- this is one MAJOR area where they're losing. 

2 Likes