Change or replace "create account" button

9 0 0

Hello,

I want to be able to control which users can view my page by being able to approve them as users. Right now when the user creates a new account, they are automatically accepted and can view all of the content as well as being able to place orders. An alternative is to replace the "create account" button with one where the user fills out the information and then the admin manually creates the user, sort of like a "request membership". So how do I change the "create account" button for one that links to the contact page where the customer fills out their contact information and I later send them an invite where they can add their password and that would serve as the approval and confirmation?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
169 17 32

Hi, @danjohnson!

Julie, here from Shopify Support.

The most common solution for controlling what users have access to is to use an app called Locksmith. This app is specifically designed to lock any piece of content in your store, whether it’s a particular page, product, or collection. Once you’ve locked something, you can control who has access in a number of ways. For example, you can either choose to lock an entire page under a password, or you can grant customers access if they have a certain tag, if they arrive via a secret link, or even if they are visiting your website from a specific country. 

Are you wanting to lock all of your products or only a specific collection? Regardless as to what you plan on locking, I would recommend granting access to customers who have a specific tag. In this case, once a customer creates an account, you can apply a tag which will automatically give them access to the locked content when they login. This is similar to your proposed “request membership” method, as it gives you control over which customers you will be applying the tag to. 

This app is highly customizable, easy to install, and has some great reviews. If you ever need a hand with this app or if you have any specific questions about it, you can always reach out to the developers directly via the Support section of their app page. 

Aside from using an app, you could work with a web developer, like one of our Shopify Experts, who can likely implement something like this for you with some custom code. If you are wanting to lock your entire store, then you can also take advantage of the storefront password feature built into Shopify, which will allow you to restrict your entire website to only customers with a specific password.

I'd love to hear more about your business. What's your reason for wanting to control which users can view your page? Are you wanting to block your entire website or only specific bits of content? From what you've stated, it sounds like the Locksmith app will be the best option, but with a bit more context, there may be some alternative solutions available for you. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi @Julie 

thanks for your response,

I am building a store to sell cellphone accessories to my already existing customers so that they can order more whenever they want instead of waiting for a salesperson to go to their office to sell. What I am looking for is simple, I already have the whole page locked so that only registered customers can enter but I want to have a way to approve the new customers who create an account in my page. I understand that the Locksmith app has that feature, among many others, but I do not really care about all the other features  because I have no use for them and buying that app simply for the purpose I stated above would drive my cost up for a simple, almost basic, feature.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
169 17 32

That makes complete sense. While Locksmith does have the ability to approve customer registrations, if this is the only feature you plan on using, then it may not be worth the recurring cost. 

I did some digging here and I managed to find another forum post, where a Shopify Expert offered some advice on how to use custom code to lock down specific pieces of content unless customers have an "approved" tag. This post also includes a snippet of code you can use in your own theme. If you're not too comfortable with custom code, then it may be worth considering a Shopify Expert. Unlike an app with recurring charges, hiring someone would be a one-off fee and would offer a longterm solution.

Alternatively, you could remove the "sign up" link on your website and replace that with a "request membership" sign up form. You could even use the contact page for this. Once the customer fills out this form, you'll receive an email notification. You would then manually create the customer account in your Admin (simply copy and paste their info) and email them a customer account invite. They'll then click the link in the invite to create a password. Once that's done, they can login and access your website. This is likely the easiest workaround and if you are wanting to avoid much custom code or apps, then this may be a good fit for you. 

Let me know if this helps!

0 Likes
9 0 0

Hi @Julie ,

I tried using that code from the post that you mentioned and it kinda worked. It displayed the message but it did not block the content so something is missing for that code to completely work and I am not a programmer, so I got stuck there. I do not know if you or somebody else can assist me with that.

Regarding the second option. It is a great alternative but how can I remove the "sign up" and replace it with a "request membership" sign up form?

Really appreciate your help,

thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
169 17 32

Thanks for the followup!

When it comes to custom code, this is something best handled by a web developer. As I'm no coding whiz myself, I recommend perhaps reaching out to a Shopify Expert for assistance with this. I also suggest responding to the previous forum post, as the original commenter who shared the code snippet will receive a notification for your response and can hopefully offer some further guidance. 

As for removing the signup link from your website, this will also involve some custom code. Once that's removed, however, you can replace it with a "Request membership" option by creating a contact page or by adding a standalone form with a free app like Simple Contact Us Form

I'm curious to hear if the rest of the community has any advice regarding the custom code; there are quite a few web developers who routinely answer technical questions like these in our forums. 

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Let me know if you have any further questions.

0 Likes