Change the destination of Continue Shopping Button

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello,

I run a meal delivery service with my shopify account. The continue shopping button at checkout directs customers to the general products page, instead of 'this week's menu' collection. I have all the meals I've ever sold in different collections for people to see, but I try to direct customers to 'this week's menu' so they don't order something I'm not making that week. How do I change the destination of the continue shopping button? Thank you! www.wholeandnourished.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
228 0 39

Hi, Heather!

Anders from the Social Care Team here. 

Thanks for the question! If there is not an option to redirect the Continue Shopping icon in your Theme Editor's Cart options, then you will need to make a slight edit your Theme's code. Normally, our initial support here doesn't cover coding questions, but it's a small edit that can be done in a few steps. Before starting, I suggest creating a Duplicate of your Theme so you have a master copy to revert to, just in case! You can create a duplicate under Online Store > Themes > Actions > Duplicate

Now, to make the edit:

1. Under Actions select Edit Code
  2. Under Sections select cart-template
  3. Press CMD + F or CTRL + F on this page and search for:  <a href="collections/all"
  4. replace collections/all with the end of your Collections URL, for example: collections/this-weeks-menu.

Replacing the "collections/all" with your 'This Week's Menu' collection's URL will change where the Continue Shopping button directs to. Of course, if you do decide to go this route, you will need to update the URL should you wish to redirect to another Collection. I've does this on my own store to show you what it should look like: https://screenshot.click/Image_vBF1198f9W.jpg.

If you run into any issues with this along the way, let me know ?

Take care, 

Anders3 | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Got it, thanks so much!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi,

We use Modular Theme and I want to change "continue shopping" destination. It automatically goes back where you click the chart, I want to connect the button to "https://www.treffortshirts.com/collections/treffort-collection". Can you help me with that?

Best,

Buket

@Anders3 wrote:

Hi, Heather!

Anders from the Social Care Team here. 

Thanks for the question! If there is not an option to redirect the Continue Shopping icon in your Theme Editor's Cart options, then you will need to make a slight edit your Theme's code. Normally, our initial support here doesn't cover coding questions, but it's a small edit that can be done in a few steps. Before starting, I suggest creating a Duplicate of your Theme so you have a master copy to revert to, just in case! You can create a duplicate under Online Store > Themes > Actions > Duplicate

Now, to make the edit:

1. Under Actions select Edit Code
  2. Under Sections select cart-template
  3. Press CMD + F or CTRL + F on this page and search for:  <a href="collections/all"
  4. replace collections/all with the end of your Collections URL, for example: collections/this-weeks-menu.

Replacing the "collections/all" with your 'This Week's Menu' collection's URL will change where the Continue Shopping button directs to. Of course, if you do decide to go this route, you will need to update the URL should you wish to redirect to another Collection. I've does this on my own store to show you what it should look like: https://screenshot.click/Image_vBF1198f9W.jpg.

If you run into any issues with this along the way, let me know ?

Take care, 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1866 181 748

Hi Buket,

The Modular theme is a commercial theme and as such the source code for the theme isn't readily viewable and difficult to support on public forums. Generally, the theme vendors offer support for their themes and are happy to help when asked.

However, the instructions above apply to almost all themes - the only difference could be how the theme code is structured so you'd have to follow the code from theme, to template, through sections and included snippets until you find where the button is so you can replace the link to the collection you want.

Best wishes!

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 0

Wow, cool, I followed the instructions exactly, including first duplicating my theme to be sure I'd have a backup in case anything went wrong, and now I'm totally hosed!  Yay!  My store has been destroyed and putting the backup back in place did ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD!  I really needed that!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 1 0

Ok, the entire store wasn't broken, just the Preview of the store.  The screenshots are on the way to Shopify customer support.  Store isn't totally destroyed...

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi, 

I can't find the "cart-template" under Sections ....

I'm using Brooklyn theme.

What I can find is "cart.liquid" and "ajax-cart-template.liquid", 

and there is no collections/all in both files...

Really need help..

Thanks a lot!

Veronica

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 0 11

I changed <a href="collections/all" to <a href="/", this takes me to the Home page which is where I wanted it to go. Works for me on Minimal Theme.

Highlighted
1 0 0

What if you want to redirect them back on the home page or product page? I have a one product shop. 

0 Likes