Solved

Change the name of my shopify URL

ThePocket
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi!

We are new to Shopify and looking to understand if we can change our shopify URL to remove 'test' from the name?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 12.58.00 PM.png

Accepted Solution (1)

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @ThePocket!

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for posting, and a very warm welcome to the Community!

At this time it’s not possible to change or remove the .myshopify.com domain name associated with your store. It is automatically created based on the store name you gave when signing up for the service originally.

In saying that, there are a couple of options for you. Do you currently have a custom domain associated with your store? The domain that's displayed when customers visit your online store is your primary domain. By default, when you sign up for Shopify, your primary domain uses your .myshopify.com URL. Having a custom domain name is a step we would highly recommend as it adds a level of trust and sends a strong signal that you’re an established business to your customers, it's a core part of your brand's identity essentially. If you want to change the domain that customers use to visit your store, then you can buy a custom domain name from Shopify or from any third-party domain registrar. After you add a custom domain to Shopify, then you can set your custom domain as the primary domain.

When you buy a domain through Shopify, your domain is automatically configured to be the website address that’s displayed to customers. Check out this guide which takes you through the steps on purchasing a custom domain through Shopify.

If you're really set on changing the name, what you could do as a workaround would be to create a new trial account and move your content over. You could migrate any theme files and products via CSV, though any uploaded files outside theme, and blog posts, etc will have to be copy/pasted in to the new store manually. Here is a guide that will help you export your store data. Remember that your .myshopify.com URL is created from the name you give us during sign up (ie. if I call it "moira the guru" then it will give me moira-the-guru.myshopify.com); use this knowledge to create the URL of your design.

If you have any further questions please feel free to thread those below.

Cheers!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 10 (10)

Edward-Newgate
Shopify Partner
570 22 61

Hi @ThePocket 

I found this guide on change Shopify store URL, hope it can help!

Was my reply helpful? Click Like or Mark it as an Accepted Solution to let me know!
ThePocket
Tourist
7 0 0

Thank you!

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

My pleasure! I am glad we were able to provide a solution for you, thanks again for posting in the community! Don't hesitate to reach back out if you require any further assistance as you continue to work on your store. 

All the best,

ThePocket
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi Moira!

Thanks so much- I actually have another question for you.

On the featured product grid on my home page, it shows the product description if you hover over it - how do i remove this? 

Thanks! 

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Hey, @ThePocket!

Thanks for getting back to us!

Firstly, I just want to say how much of a great job you have done building your store, it is very commendable — clean, polished, and easy to navigate, you should be so proud! How have you found running your business so far? I have taken a look at your homepage and just want to double-check that you are referring to this product section shown below:

Screen_Shot_2021-08-01_at_9.20.04_AM_2

You may be able to edit this feature directly via your theme editor. As each theme is built differently, without being able to access your theme, I cannot confirm whether your theme has this capability. Although, I have done some digging and found this tutorial on the theme developer's websites which suggests that you are able to turn the hover effect on and off!

Let me know if you are able to see the options below via your product grid settings in the theme editor. To access this area, head to your online store > themes > customize > theme settings:

21-08-i9i86-ufnvt

21-08-k8rts-uw1mm

If you cannot see the options above, code adjustments would need to be made to remove the hover effect. I would suggest posting your query over in this forum here where one of our wonderful Shopify Partners may be able to provide you with the exact code piece needed and/or implement it in your store directly.

I can see that your theme is a variation of the Pipeline Theme developed by Groupthought. Though our scope is limited when it comes to third-party themes and certain questions are best directed to the theme developers, our team will be happy to take a look at the theme editor with you. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

While we're here, have you seen this guide on helpful tips for the Pipeline theme? This guide talks about how the main menu works, the best product and slideshow image sizes to use, how to add sale badges to products, and a few more handy bits of information.

I do hope this helps. I also hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

All the best,

ThePocket
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi!

Thanks so much for your response.

So those options to change the grid are available, but it still isnt resolved! 

If remove the hover feature, the text remains fixed.

I'll lodge a ticket and see who can help me out!

Thanks,

Jo

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Sounds great! Let me know how you get on,

Each third-party theme does operate slightly differently so the developers are definitely your best resource. Thanks again for posting in the community! Don't hesitate to reach back out if you require any further assistance as you continue to work on your store. 

All the best, 

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @ThePocket!

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for posting, and a very warm welcome to the Community!

At this time it’s not possible to change or remove the .myshopify.com domain name associated with your store. It is automatically created based on the store name you gave when signing up for the service originally.

In saying that, there are a couple of options for you. Do you currently have a custom domain associated with your store? The domain that's displayed when customers visit your online store is your primary domain. By default, when you sign up for Shopify, your primary domain uses your .myshopify.com URL. Having a custom domain name is a step we would highly recommend as it adds a level of trust and sends a strong signal that you’re an established business to your customers, it's a core part of your brand's identity essentially. If you want to change the domain that customers use to visit your store, then you can buy a custom domain name from Shopify or from any third-party domain registrar. After you add a custom domain to Shopify, then you can set your custom domain as the primary domain.

When you buy a domain through Shopify, your domain is automatically configured to be the website address that’s displayed to customers. Check out this guide which takes you through the steps on purchasing a custom domain through Shopify.

If you're really set on changing the name, what you could do as a workaround would be to create a new trial account and move your content over. You could migrate any theme files and products via CSV, though any uploaded files outside theme, and blog posts, etc will have to be copy/pasted in to the new store manually. Here is a guide that will help you export your store data. Remember that your .myshopify.com URL is created from the name you give us during sign up (ie. if I call it "moira the guru" then it will give me moira-the-guru.myshopify.com); use this knowledge to create the URL of your design.

If you have any further questions please feel free to thread those below.

Cheers!

Gyoshu
Visitor
1 0 0

I have been trying to change my URL with no luck. After reading your reply, I've done exactly as stated in her post.

"By default, when you sign up for Shopify, your primary domain uses your .myshopify.com URL."  I signed up last year with the store name "Brooklyn Gorillaz". So, that makes my primary domain brooklyn-gorillaz.myshopify.com. Nearly a year later I wanted to rename my store and did.  You also mentioned,   "If you want to change the domain that customers use to visit your store, then you can buy a custom domain name from Shopify or from any third-party domain registrar. After you add a custom domain to Shopify, then you can set your custom domain as the primary domain."  So, I purchased a domain from shopify on August 12th, set to to my primary domain and my URL is still showing brooklyn-gorillaz.myshopify.com. What have I not done? Any help is appreciated.

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Hey @Gyoshu!

If you have purchased a custom domain from Shopify and set it as your primary domain then customers should be accessing your website via that domain. When you are working on your store via your Shopify admin, you will always see your myshopify domain in the URL until you view your website externally.

Below, I have attached a photo of how your domain settings should appear. You can see that I have a custom domain that I purchased from Namecheap set as my primary domain then below is my permanent Shopify domain which is used when signing into my Shopify admin. You can also see that the myshopify URL is always present in the URL bar when working on the back end of Shopify.

21-09-w6x8d-tfyd3

If you go ahead and click the eye icon next to Online Store you will be redirected to your live website where you can view your store exactly as a customer would be seeing it. If the custom domain appears in the URL bar, then your primary domain has been set correctly.

21-09-1kdum-wtdzo

When I search your myshopify URL brooklyn-gorillaz.myshopify.com, I am redirected to your custom domain so it appears you have set everything up perfectly!

21-09-hpa6s-837sr

Let me know if I can clarify anything further,