Changes to footer menu do not appear in the footer menu itself

Solved
PHILIPINCT
Excursionist
29 2 5

Working in the supply theme. I have added 2 items (Privacy policy and Returns) under Navigation > Footer menu. They've been saved and show up on the navigation page, but don't appear in the footer menu itself. What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes
Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 149

Hey, @PHILIPINCT.

My name is Lizzy and I’m from the support team at Shopify.

For you menus to appear on your store, you'll need to make sure that they're linked up properly to your theme. You can check this in Supply by going to Online Store>Themes>Customize (on you current theme). This will load up the theme editor.

Once the editor has loaded, scroll to bottom of the menu on the left and you'll see "Footer". Clicking on Footer will open up the options below where you can choose to link your menu either under your footer columns or within them. Try adding it into both of these sections and see which option you prefer!

17-44-d6qkp-uru8x

As long as the title of this menu matches the title of the menu you've been editing, you'll see the correct links appear. Please let me know if you have any questions about this!

Am I correct in assuming that you're new to Shopify and in the process of setting up your store? If so, how are you feeling about launching your business? Have you decided on what type of products you're selling and the audience you'd like to reach out to?

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

PHILIPINCT
Excursionist
29 2 5

Thanks for the quick, helpful reply which arrived VERY late last night. If you, too, are in the Eastern time zone of North America, you’re exceptionally dedicated . . . or a night owl. :-)

When I add privacy policy, returns, and TOS under “quick links,” those items also appear horizontally at the very bottom. Can I get rid of them by removing the “legal menu” section?

Yes, I’m just setting up and using Printful to fulfill my orders. Can you direct me to information/discussions about which Printful products – or POD products in general – are selling well? I don't mind spending some time on research. I’m sure the type of design always figures into that decision, but if A is selling much better across the board than B, then . . .

I was thinking of Reddit, but sometimes discussions and posts that are  more closely moderated can be easier to read. And then of course there’s google.

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 149

Hey @PHILIPINCT!

You're very welcome! We have staff in timezones across the world helping out in the forums, so you could find one of us in here any time of day. I'm in Pacific time, so while it wasn't quite as late for me, I do prefer a night shift! 

Would you be able to send me a screenshot of how it appears, and where you've added the menu into your theme? That way I can check out why it might be appearing along the bottom for you! 

That's great! One thing you could do is post here in the forums to get feedback from other merchants. There are a lot of business owners in here who use different print on demand services, and they would all have different perspectives or advice when it comes to choosing products!

When I was interested in using Printful, I found the reviews on the products themselves to be quite helpful. Many mentioned the quality of the shirts as well as how easy they were to price and sell. I agree that you're right though, in most cases customers would be more interested in the design. The areas I would consider, for having the t-shirt itself be a selling point, are the brand, if it's popular, the material of the t-shirt and where it was made. Knowing who you're targeting as an audience will come into play here, as some people won't care about the shirt if they love the design, and some will care much more about the fabric on their body than the design on it.

Printful also has a few different resources when it comes to choosing the right products. I found this video on how to choose the best products for your business, as well as this article all about getting started and another one here, about choosing a fabric.

I agree, Reddit could be another good source for this kind of conversation. You may not find the info you're looking for there, but sometimes people have little golden nuggets of information to share!

I'll keep an eye out for that screenshot, and please let me know if you have any questions about what I've said!

Lizzy

PHILIPINCT
Excursionist
29 2 5

Hi Lizzy,

I’ve attached a screenshot of my footer. I’d like to get rid of the circled elements. Although it’s not truly mission critical, I’d like to de-clutter this small piece of real estate in any way I can.

Shopify question.png

Your advice about choosing products makes good sense. Might as well focus on the merchants right here, close to home. Another good point you’ve made: some people care about the design, for others the fabric is key.

Among the links, this one --> this article all about getting started contains a link to a store design that’s VERY good, i.e., instructive.

Thanks so much for going another round with me!

0 Likes
Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 149

This is an accepted solution.

Thank you for the screenshot @PHILIPINCT !

You can actually get rid of this menu just by removing the top menu within the theme. You can see that in the screenshot below.

29-57-0kd11-zitkz

If you've got your menu set up in the Quick Links section, you'll be fine to remove this, as the menu will still be there.

You're very welcome! I'm happy to help, and I'm glad to hear that the info I share was beneficial.

Please don't hesitate to share any further questions that you have!

Lizzy

PHILIPINCT
Excursionist
29 2 5

This is an accepted solution.

Many thanks!  :-)

DawgMane
2 0 0

Hey Lizzy i'm also having a problem with my footer, I want my catalog page to show up when people visit my website so that the products are right there, but they get an empty footer page. How can I rearrange the pages so that the catalog shows up first? Also is it possible to delete the footer menu page? 

Here's my website for reference: curioncases.com

0 Likes
Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 149

Hey @DawgMane!

I'd be happy to take a look into this for you. Thank you very much for sharing your store link with me.

Do you mind if I ask which theme you're currently using? The footer options will vary based on theme. I also wanted to confirm if you would like the Catalog to appear here instead of these options?

If so, you will need to go to Online Store>Navigation and edit your Footer menu to not link to the search option and instead include a link to your Catalog. This page here explains how to edit your menus!

Does this help to answer your question? Let me know if you're not able to get it set up following these steps!

Lizzy

0 Likes
RandomWear
Tourist
5 0 3

This is taking up too much time and I feel like the answer is blindly in front of me. Within my footer menu, I have About and nested inside of that is  "Our Company" and "Product Care". Then I have Support and nested inside of that is "Shipping and Delivery", "Refunds and Exchanges" and "Customer Service". All of these are linked to pages that I created with the information for my customers. The problem is that it does not appear that way on my website. The website displays About and Support but underneath both they display the same thing About and Support. The nested items I have created will show up when I am on my footer menu admin page. I am at a loss.

0 Likes