Changing A Customer's Order?

1 0 2

Seriously, even old Yahoo store have this feature. This is a deal breaker for me. Will not subscribe after this month.

2 Likes
Tourist
9 0 2

I'm moving to Big Commerce after having Shopify for 1 month. We simply can't overcome the limitations even with the costly third party apps. 

Venture Theme
0 Likes
1 0 1

I just made an expensive switch from BC to Shopify (just to get a product level recurring order app) and didn't even question that we'd be able to edit orders. We cannot believe that we can not edit orders! This is a functionality that many carts have as standard!

The inability to do this is a great customer service dis-service. It's a pain in the rear to cancel an order only to recreate it with 1 different variable. Reports are skewed, order #s are off and, most of all, customers are confused. 

Agree with the above: BigC is much better on functionality for customer service, coupons and quick ability to see orders with a fast drop down on orders. 

The other thing Shopfiy doesn't have is Pagination!  Such a simple feature to tell me how many pages of customers / orders / products I have in a search rather than manually having to click and count. 

Even after this expensive move and 1 week on this system, we are considering switching back. OMG...I just said that. UGH. 

1 Like
Shopify Partner
13 0 4

Is this for real? This tread was started in March 2009! It's approaching 10 years old!!

This is one of those features you don't realise you need until a customer wants to make a change, which is GUARANTEED to happen sooner or later. You initially assume it's possible because it seems so obvious and basic, but then you realise it's not, google it and find a thread that's almost 10 years old with no resolution?

After reading a lot (not all) comments, it does seem some progress has been made. Like changing shipping address for example. Very basic, but bertter than nothing I suppose.

But the main concern, of not being able to to add/remove/change items is still the case.

It seems the main reason is, what happens if the amended order amounts to more than the customer has authorised on their card. It was something I was thinking myself and understandably it must depend whether the gateway supports something like that.

However, it sounds like a lot of other platforms do support this, so how are they doing it? There must be a way...

I aknowledge some of the reasons that have been given and understand it is not as simple as it sounds when different scenarios come into play, but... other platforms do support it and by the sounds of it have done for many years.

And there hasn't been any sign of any Shopify staff on this thread for a while now, so would be good to hear from you :)

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
98 0 21

Definitely frustating this feature has been unattended for years.

At least on the custom order front, Shopify allows that now. Along with being able to edit telephone numbers of standing orders.

1 Like
Trailblazer
650 0 69

What do you mean by 'on the custom order front'?

John Nanci www.ChocolateAlchemy.com The Art and Science of Homemade Chocolate
0 Likes
Highlighted
Navigator
1151 0 118

Custom Order = Order Create in Admin.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 2

I'm new to shopify and in my floral business of 13 years, every week, often every day, there is some reason to change or update an order - they call in with a new card message, we take an order by phone and misspell something, we attempt delivery, and the recipient has moved, or is now at home instead of the hospital, etc.

In our current point of sale, we can edit any information, and it only effects payment if the total is different, and even then, we have the option to comp the additional so we don't charge the client any extra if we wish. 

Yes, it would be REALLY helpful to have this updated!!!

Karin

1 Like
Shopify Partner
98 0 21

@ karin 
From the time you take an order to have it delivered, the receipient has moved !? What kind of clientele do you have lol . 

Don't think you can edit address yet, just telephone. 

0 Likes
1 0 0

In my experience it's very bad practice to amend customer orders even when the customer asks you to do so. You should always cancel the order and redo it. The reason is that if there's ever a dispute then it's really important that you have a clear paper trail. This goes for address changes as well. Delivering to the wrong address is as bad as delivering the wrong items.

0 Likes