Changing A Customer's Order?

Tourist
7 0 1

That's hardly practical when the payment side is outside of your control.  You'd have to cancel the entire order and then ask the customer to go through the whole process of ordering again, including re-entering all their payment details, which they may not be prepared to do.

If the order needs to be changed due to a stock issue on the merchant's side, they're even less likely to want to do it as they wouldn't see it as their fault.  If you cancel the order in that case they're more likely not to come back at all.  Whereas if you can simply offer a substitution and then do that for them, they're likley to go with it.

The 'papertrail' would be there as well, showing changes to the order and any credits to the payment method.  If additional payment were required then the cuistomer would of course have to be involved in authorising that by providing their details again.  But most of the time the substitution is on either a like for like price basis, either because the items are the same price or because you swallow any small difference in the interests of goodwill.

All suggestions of substitutions or requested changes could be made using the customer contact timeline on each order.  If the application were really slick, you'd be able to offer one or several options for substitution with an email going to the customer with the option to click one or the other to accept the substitution which would then be automatically dealt with in the software.  Now THAT would be a really neat solution!

1 Like
2 0 0

OMG, I can't believe we can't do this with Shopify. Everything else (well, almost everything else) is so good about Shopify but this is a MAJOR let down. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
15 0 2

Want To edit product variant size after customer chooses wrong - can't expect no from Shopify. 

Just wondering how this is able to happen by Paid App? 

Piyush S

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 2

piyush, the paid apps are just using the API to cancel and order, clone it and create a new order with the changes.

This shortcoming on Shopify is a major issue for us. We're close to launch and committed, but if we had known of this limitation, we would have gone with Big Commerce, which overall I find less ncie than Shopify, but for the shop in question the product is rather complex and customers commonly have special requests that require editing the order. This is going to suck on Shopify.

On Big Commerce, no problem - https://support.bigcommerce.com/articles/Public/Editing-an-Order

Shopify and Big Commerce tend to match feature for feature, so hopefully Shopify will see a threat from BC and match this feature, but as this thread is already seven years old, I'm not holding my breath!

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 2

Has Shopify made any comments yet on order editing functionality?

Venture Theme
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

I was a big commerce user for about 8 years, moved to Shopify. BC changed and their starter stuff (which I used into the 6 figures annual ) changed so much that I had to leave. But I need this feature too....I have seen it on others  "basic" stores. I just had it this morning. Woman orders a blouse, orders the wrong size, (German sizing) emails back quickly to change size, I go in, ok I make a "note" but...yup, not as good as I had hoped, now here is the next question, the goal is to use a 3rd party interface with QB and when it brings over hte oders, it will bring over the mistakes. bummer.

0 Likes
1 0 1

Jesus. Does this HunkyBill guy still work for you? Or in e-commerce at all? I've seen some ignorance in e-commerce, but this guy just doesn't get it. 

Customers change their minds all the time. It's a problem that needs a solution. Nothing worse than losing a customer right at the finish line because you look like an incompetent who can't make a simple adjustment.

Notes don't work. If you can comprehend INVENTORY TRACKING, you would understand why.

YOUR customers NEED the ability to edit OUR customers' orders!

1 Like
3 0 0

Totally agree! So unprofessional.  

0 Likes
3 0 0

I've made the mistake of not checking the "require shipping" option when creating an order myself from customer (wholesale, etc.). Once the customer pays and I want to fulfill the order, it's such a pain to fulfill it if I made this small mistake in my order. This makes it very difficult to reconcile my shipping costs as well. I've upvoted this as well. It's a must!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Has this been a problem for nearly a decade with no fix?

1 Like