Changing A Customer's Order?

Solved
Excursionist
33 0 24

@Gerhard

I agree with your point, but editing an order is an important function that should be in any eccomerce solution, even the most basic ones. Plus, all the time I spent building my business around this platform, it's not such an easy decision to move to a new one. I love Shopify, I don't want to move, so I'm hoping this huge issue is address.

2 Likes
2 0 0

We have a customer who made a typo when entering her order. Now she's not getting notifications from the system. We therefore have to send her hand notifications throughout the order process, and cannot include her in future marketing efforts, since we can't edit her email address, AT HER REQUEST!

And we don't really want to edit the order per se, just the Customer info. Which brings us to the fact that customers are not a separate entity in Shopify, but enter their info every time they make an order. Would be much better if customers maintained their info in one place, and could edit it (and so could we), wouldn't it?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3939 16 328

greendogmark,

If you took a minute to examine the situation, maybe read a little, asking nicely, http://api.shopify.com/order.html#update

Points out, that you can change an email address anytime you want to anything you want.

So, you are wrong. Feel free to change her email address and fix her wagon. 

AND THAT IS A NICE THING!

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
2 0 0

Thanks HunkyBill, I thought I was reading what I needed to in this forum, since the dates were recent, and it was saying I couldn't... and that is a nice thing, you're right.

0 Likes
Excursionist
33 0 24

Can anyone from Shopify chime in on this? I submitted a feature request but haven't receive a response. 

0 Likes
26 0 0

I just want to make a bump to allow admins to edit the address. I've gotten many address changes and it's really hard on our automated shipping process since they have to print postage by hand.

Adding notes does not help the situation because I use all kinds of information from the API for both automated shipping and automated accounting. Adding information as a note is a cludge to provide the correct item to the correct customer to the correct address, but it still produces accounting errors that have to be dealt with by hand. I would much rather edit an order and have my accounting work than spend four days out of the month hand-wringing my accounting issues. (I'd rather spend my time making better products!)

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 284

Sorry guys. What I hear from our devs regarding address change on an order is that our active_merchant, active_shipping and active_fulfillment integrations forbid that. You can change the address of a customer though, so that when we release customer accounts, customer can log in and use that address in future orders, but not the address on the past orders...

Have to run!

Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
0 Likes
Excursionist
33 0 24

Caroline, that's bad news and at this point I really have to consider switching to a different service. What you explained doesn't solve the issue. We need to be able to edit addresses for orders already placed. I really don't see how anyone can use an e-ccomerce system that doesn't allow you to do that. It's really odd that there's no way for you guys to implement this.

2 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 284

Caroline, that's bad news and at this point I really have to consider switching to a different service. 

I am sorry to hear that. The only problem here is with the address displayed on the order details page, that cannot be changed. You are, however, free to add a note with the new address and ship the goods to whichever destination you want in the world. The Customer can also edit his “Default address” in his account as well as add any number of shipping addresses, and pick any shipping address he wants (from his many addresses) when checking out like Amazon.com and several heavy-weight e-commerce solutions allow.

Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
719 0 56

Hi,.. 

A note with the address is a good solution for me, but for the customer it's not clear, upon fulfillment he/she gets a mail with the wrong address, happened to us a couple of times now. quite annoying out of the customers point of view :)

Any ETA on when this bug will be fixed?

Cheers,

Harold

1 Like