Changing A Customer's Order?

Solved
Navigator
1137 0 119

We too would like very much to see the ability to edit an order (items, quantities, prices, ship method, discounts, etc.) because we frequently need to do so to serve our customers. Our old ASP cart can do it. If it might be a problem for some integrations, make it possible to enable/disable in the control panel.

As relates to the "add a note idea", I wonder if it is possible to add using META FIELDS via the API fields like "CORRECTED BILLTO" and "CORRECTED SHIPTO"). Then update templates with logic that if either one of these fields has data on that order, use it in place of the order info when displaying the order to customers/admins or emailing. Not a total solution, but perhaps a short-term workaround.

We also want the ability to place phone orders on behalf of customers who have already registered (who wants to have to ask for a password from the customer?). Seems like that would would just require a link from the customer record in admin that would log in the customer for us. Again, our old ASP cart can do that and it's PA-DSS compliant, etc.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3933 15 323

Making the point that your old ASP system could do it, therefore Shopify should do it too, is not going to win this argument. Since day 1, you cannot edit an order as you wish, and that is likely to continue. It is a platform choice. Made with care and consideration. 

They choose to NOT ALLOW you to edit orders that are in the bank... If you really have to edit your orders, you'll have to do it manually, or use another system. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Navigator
1137 0 119

An order is only in the bank if the customer wants the goods and accepts the charges. To knowingly ship when the facts are otherwise is to invite a chargeback, tarnish your store's reputation, and risk the loss of the sale and the goods. Nothing good ever comes from bad customer service.

Assuming for the moment that the prohibition against altering orders is indeed unalterable, then at a minimum there needs to be the ability to place an order on behalf of the customer. That way an admin can cancel the first and create the second without either asking for the password or re-entering bill to/ship to.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
2 Likes
Shopify Expert
3933 15 323

Good point @standoutd.

So you notice a customer with less than stellar e-commerce chops orders the wrong stuff. Or they tell you they did anyway. So you cancel the bad order, refund their money, tell them, and let them know they are free to try again. 

If you have to babysit every customer that screws up, you're in for a real challenge. Nothing about cancelling a bad order screams bad service. People that screw up will not hold it against you or your store, unless they are truly pin-heads. 

You cannot re-order for them. They have to try again. A shame for your shop, as you might've lost a sale, but that is built-in to this type of economy. No one does 100% conversions. 

A shop I work on came close one day though... 1449 of 1450 carts checked out... w00T!

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Navigator
1137 0 119

We sell high-value items (over $1,000), so if babysitting is required, we are happy to do it - literally if in the local area to make a sale. ;-)

I still think allowing an admin to place an order on behalf of the customer by clicking a link on the customer account (lock it down by user if you feel like) is a simple and worthwhile feature without having to get into editing if that is such an anathema. 

2 Likes
Shopify Expert
3933 15 323

If only exceptions to the rule were so easy to implement! 

I imagine this year, 2012, Shopify may allow orders to be generated programmatically and as well, with a recurring payment according to a subscription. All standard E-commerce options, and missing in action so far!

0 Likes
Navigator
1137 0 119

I am actually very impressed with how far Shopify has come in so few years and applaud how well thought out and cleanly executed things are. Competing systems may have been around longer but they resemble the tax code as a result.

0 Likes
1 0 3

@HunkyBill: you make an excellent point:   "If you really have to edit your orders, you'll have to do it manually, or use another system."

So, I am going to move to another system.  I really like Shopify, but I have needs that it does not meet.

I was initially drawn to Shopify by its advertised integration with Amazon FBA, but the implementation seems kind of half-baked.  Maybe Shopify's new features for 2012 will improve the integration and daily workflow for Amazon-integrated webstores, but I would like a working solution now, so that I can put more time into growing my business.

For example:   A customer makes an order on my shopify store, but enters a typo in the shipping address.  This customer sends an e-mail to notify us of the error.  I log in to see if the order has already been automatically shipped by Amazon's fulfillment and see, happily, that Amazon's system rejected the order because of the typo and I still have a chance to change it and rescue the order.  

I then attempt to update shipping address so that the correct information can be sent to Amazon.  I discover on this forum post that it cannot be done.  It also seems that, because of the Amazon integration, there is no way to mark the order as "fulfilled" even if I choose to manually fulfill the order.  I am suddenly no longer happy.

I am instead left with two options:  a) fulfill the order manually and leave the order marked "unfulfilled" in the shopify admin (where it will stay until I find another e-commerce service), or b) ask the customer to cancel their order and then please order again (and possibly lose the sale because customers can be fickle.)

Both options seem unsatisfactory to me, so I will keep looking for a solution that provides different options.

Oh, HunkyBill:  You may want to be more careful with your tone.  Many of the posts I have read from you thus far have displayed a rather condescending attitude.  I'm sure you're very intelligent and capable and confident in your own abilities, but people usually come to support forums for support; not to be put down.   I do not have a very positive impression of you, as a person, and will probably avoid reading any posts by you in the future.   

3 Likes
Shopify Expert
3933 15 323

@Strowlers

Thanks for your opinion on my writing. What you fail to point out is that in my six years of contributing to these forums I have helped more people than you can count, for free. Have you done anything like that? 

If you read my writing carefully, and not just superficially, you will see that I do often comment with edgier tone to posts that I feel warrant that tone. It is a public forum and if someone chooses to spout off some complaints, or mis-information, or other nonsense, good for them. They are subject to rebuttal by default. Perhaps they are right. There are always two or more sides to things right? When you go public, you might as well go all in.  

I have never had a problem helping anyone that asks a good question, in a nice way, with a nice answer that can often be proven to have saved them a ton of time and money. And you?

Good luck with your cooperative business. I hope it all works out for you. You seem to have a long row to hoe. It is unfortunate you could not figure out Shopify. 

0 Likes
1 0 1

I'm with @vettedshop on this one. I get asked to make changes to orders all the time - address changes, or swapping one print for another, changes that, most of the time, don't ultimately affect the end cost to the customer. I use the 'Add a Note' feature extensively, but it doesn't help when the customer's shipping confirmation email is no longer accurate, and it also doesn't adjust inventory properly.

This is a feature available in a number of decent ecommerce applications, not just the Magentos of the world, and I was hoping Shopify would have this implemented by now, along with some other order management features that I feel are missing. I also don't like the idea that I have to buy an app (for printing batches of address labels, for example), sometimes with recurring monthly fees, just so I can have the functionality I'm missing when I've already paid thousands of dollars to Shopify over the years.  This creates great opportunities if you're an app developer like @HunkyBill or @Gerhard, but for someone managing a shop it makes them start to look elsewhere.

I'll end with this: Maybe @Gerhard is right. You don't want to implement every single feature request. What makes Shopify so great when you're starting out is that it's simple and uncluttered. Perhaps Shopify is taking a page from the 37Signals playbook. And perhaps I'm outgrowing Shopify.

1 Like