Changing A Customer's Order?

Solved
Excursionist
21 0 12

You know what's funny...I was thinking to myself the other day. What could possibly be the next thing Shopify releasew that we really don't need before the ability to edit orders. So I was going to joke on this thread that, we'll probably get BitCoin payments before Order Editing... I spoke to soon. Shopify just got BitCoin two weeks ago. The jokes on me.

Please Shopify can you give us something that's been requested now for 4 years! The ability to edit orders. My Xero integration fails for orders that are incomplete, because I cannot edit them. While you are at it, please see if you can make it so we can take phone orders through the admin interface. Just 2 of 5 things I've been asking for 2 years.

1 Like
Excursionist
15 0 5

This is nuts. I can't believe that SHOPIFY can't be bothered to add this bit of basic, basic functionality. A wholesale customer (not paying up front)  fat-fingers an order and chooses the wrong size. Calls us immediately to correct things after they get the email, and there's no way to make any changes whatsoever? Absurd. Simply absurd. 

We're moving on to something else, likely Volusion. I'll gladly pay more to have simple, basic functionality to work with. Hell, given that Shopify is essentially useless to anyone doing any sort of volume without adding multiple Apps to pick up the slack, it'll actually end up being CHEAPER to use a BETTER system. That's nuts, and sad. 

I'm trying to like you Shopify, I really am, but you really need to get your act together for mid-size businesses. 

2 Likes
Tourist
8 0 5

Changing, updating and adding an order through a cart admin system should be one of the most fundamental features of that admin system. Is there anybody at Shopify that would like to give us an update on this? When will this long-awaited feature be added?

1 Like
Excursionist
15 0 5

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a Big Commerce rep., and yes, you can do that with BC.  At this point, we're 99% committed to moving away from Shopify to either Big Commerce or Volusion. BC offers a migration service that snags most of the important stuff (orders, customer info, all product info-tags, sizes, etc), as well as having a functional wholesale backend already baked into it without being nickle and dimed to death with multiple app, and yes, I'm looking at you Shopify. 

BC's themes are a mess, but I'll gladly pay someone to tart up a basic theme for me in exchange for having very simple, basic features that Shopify simply doesn't have, and apparently given this 4 year old thread, has zero interest in adding. Had I looked into this deeper, I'd never bothered with Shopify. Those themes sure are pretty though. 

1 Like
Excursionist
21 0 12

Well, since I just had a situation where I need this again...I thought I'd jump in to the discussion. 

I have used all the major 4 shopping carts. The one thing I liked about Shopify were the themes - like everyone else the design is what drew me to Shopify. However, it seems there must be a data model issue with the way Shopify designed their DB and app. Otherwise, there is no explanation why we can't get this, instead them adding on features that have nothing to do with the order management.  Its almost like they are saying "if we wait long enough maybe they'll forget". 

I have BC for two of my other stores,  and the new template designs work just fine. Ye,s they take a little longer to design what you want, but they are better than the old ones. The BC admin UI is not as intuitive as Shopify, but the features are there for editing orders, managing multiple statuses, free shipping per product, coupons and promotions that would make the developers at Shopify spin their heads, return management module, and easy Google Shopping integration, print invoices, built-in sorting filters, and the list goes on and on.. BC blows Shopify away on functionality.

So why have I stayed with Shopify...well, one is the app ecosystem on Shopify is more mature. Yes, I hate paying extra for apps to do basic cart features. Drives me insane.  But some of the more advanced marketing apps are pretty cool and BC does not have them yet, although they are updating their app store everyday. Second is the order management UI, I like the way Shopify has designed it, BC has a more crowded UI for their orders. Last, I keep hoping Shopify will listen to it's customers and give us these basic features that we want. Switching to BC is already on our road map if Shopify does not get their act together.

We need to look up who is the CEO and get a petition going to fix these basic issues. And see his response, cause the last response we received in another post was not acceptable. They basically said "Our priorities for features are not our customer's priorities."

2 Likes
Tourist
8 0 5

Someone start a petition for this feature and I'll endorse it.

1 Like
Trailblazer
620 0 69

Unfortunately they basically have us over a barrel.  They are well aware of what we want.  Unless you get a very substantial number of signers that are willing boycott/walk away/withhold payment, there is nothing a petition is going to do.  And I see it that I suspect they would not mind if many of us walk away.  We are just the complainers.  Without the vocal minority, it's all good in their eyes.

John Nanci www.ChocolateAlchemy.com The Art and Science of Homemade Chocolate
2 Likes
12 0 0

bump

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 2

Unreal. Can someone from shopify at least recognize this is a major shortcoming and address? Whether it is being fixed or not this is highly unacceptable. Makes sense though that we can't get proper support from shopify and we can't offer proper customer service to our customers either. 

0 Likes
4 0 0

I too am following this thread because what happens (and has happened) this holiday season is despite clear instructions on my website front page, blog and product pages, people select the wrong type of shipping option (free shipping) whereas the timeline has passed for free shipping to arrive by Christmas. The order notes include "Please have it arrive by Dec 24". 

I of course follow up with the customer who says, yes, I'd like the $10 upgraded shipping...but now the problem is the only way to process this (that I know) is to cancel their order, and have them reorder with the correct shipping cost.

Is there someway to edit ship cost post transaction?

0 Likes